My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, a previous owner or mechanic has replaced the block on my tractor to a 9N block. Along with that, the tractor has been rewired for the front mounted distributor without an actual wiring harness, and converted to 12 Volts. The alternator has apparently failed due to exposure to the elements. Now I have nothing but questions, and I am not sure what to do about it. The cheapest thing I can do is to replace it, but the same thing will happen again. Why would anyone change to 12 volts when the original 6 volt system worked for years? It should have been simple to maintain the original system. I think the starter is original, but the coil is held on with a plastic tie. There is an unused electrical block/gang and one that is used (also held on with plastic ties). The lights and amp gauge wires have been cut along with the starter button connection. At this point I am considering putting it back to 6 volts. There are plenty of 6 to 12 volt conversions that have taken place, but no guide for going the other way. Anyone have some thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Since it is 12v already it would be less costly to keep it that way even with having to replace the alternator. As for the wiring, make your own wiring harness or buy one of the ready made for the 12v system. Really they ain't that much to them. Clear out all the old stuff, fix it right and it will last for another 50 years. Oh and exposure to the elements generally will not hurt an alternator, there is a world full of equipment using the same alternator exposed just as it is on a tractor plus a lot of newer tractors using it or one near to it.

Is the coil a round can that has been added? Or an OEM that the clips have broken on? Either one can be fixed for a solid mount.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, JohnW! That sounds like good advice. I maybe mistaken about the water thing. The generators seemed a bit more protected.

The coil is a round can. Maybe I can figure out where to mount everything if I can find pictures on the web.

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
Like JohnW said, stay with 12V. Last time I checked a wiring harness was cheap, $15. or close. I can not fool with making one for what one costs. The rebuilders that have the 6V stuff are getting quite proud of it. If you go with the 6v generator you're going to need a voltage regulator also. 12V does have the advantages. Sounds like you may already have the 12v battery. Hook up the self regulated alternator to your new wiring and go to work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, Ray. You and JohnW have convinced me. I am planning to replace the alternator, rewire and figure out where to attach things better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts