My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question need a new batt in my 8n it has a 8v batt now.. the previous owner said a 8 volt batt will last longer thats why he put it in (its 4 years old)...my question is should i use a 6 volt or stick with a 8 volt is it ok to use a 8 volt being a 6 v charging system Thanks .....Chris.....

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Is your system upgraded to charge an 8 volt battery? My '58 641 still has the 6 volt battery from 2003. Starts and runs fine. How is that 8 volt better?

Kirk

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
Nothing needs converted to change to an 8 volt... With the 8 volt it will start so much better... The 6 volt charging system will charge the 8 volt just fine...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing needs converted to change to an 8 volt... With the 8 volt it will start so much better... The 6 volt charging system will charge the 8 volt just fine...
are you saying it will crank over faster? wont the 6 volt system only charge to 6v? mabey more reserve? thanks...... Chris.....

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

Conditional BS!!

IF the vreg has been tweaked to charge an 8v battery.. it will charge good.. or if ti is a 3rd brush setup, you can manualy tweak them to charge 8v batteries.

the oem 6v vreg that charges inthe mid 7v range is not a good fit for an 8v battery.. it leaves you with a partially discharged 8v battery.

8v is hard on lamps and points.

I'd take a good 6v system over a bastardized 8v system any day.

my N was on 8v when i got it. and now runs god on 6v.

hard to find an 8v charger onthe shelf.. and many 12v chargers won't handle the 8v load.. You can get a 6v 'dumb' charger and leave t on for an extended time to charge 8v. but none of the 'smart' 6 or 12v chargers or tenders will suitable charge an 8v battery. ( 8v battery chargers used to be more commonly available.. and you can make them with a handfull of radio-shack parts if yo want to and know how... I do... )

imho.. 8v is the worst kind of bandaid you can do.. either stay 6v.. or jump to 12v... good soloutions and workarounds exist for both, only way I'd ever run 8v is if i had a wartime N with 3 brush genny and a magneto.. or if battery ignition and a 3-brush genny.. I'd run a 12v coil and no ressitors.

still don't help the lmaps none though..

soundguy

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I was waiting for soundguy to set the 8v battery thing right. I never saw an 6v system that would work right on 8v much less charge it properly.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Yep... 8v is a very itchy deal.. you can make it work if you get a tweaked vreg or manual adjuster.. .. but to make ignition happy.. you have to get priamry curretn correct.. which is doable... it's the lamps that are a problem.. hard to find stuff between 6v and 12v ( yes.. I have seen voltages listed inbetween in napa catalogs... just hard$$ to find.. )

soundguy

·
Cal Fire Air Tanker Pilot
143 Posts
8 volt would cause the coil to break down sooner too causing a premature failure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea i dident know why he put a 8v in but some electrial was not hooked up correctly i'm slowly getting it straghtend around but after 58 years it takes time ......Next question what is the best 6v batt to get (brand... cca... etc)
Thanks .....Chris.....

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
I've just slapped in 8 volt batterys in lots of older tractors and never looked back... Never had a problem...

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
I guess a lot of it depends on the application.

If you've got an induction ignition system that the battery is just running the starter... and maybe some lamps... you'd probably be OK with an 8V battery... if it's getting a little "tired". You're still going to have problems with the lamps, but. As long as you go into it with your eyes open.

Even if you've got a battery ignition system... and need a "quick fix" I could see putting an 8V battery in it as a 'band-aid' until you could fix the issues with the engine (I really see this instance as being engine problems more than ignition problems)... and revert back to 6V.

Of course... when you're talking about inherited problems... you never know what was going on, really.
Maybe the engine was getting tired and he put the 8V battery on it until he could rebuild... and never got the rebuild done. Or rebuilt and never went back to a 6V battery.
Maybe he was running suppression wires... and rather than get solid core wires... went to a 'hotter' ignition by throwing the 8V battery in?
Maybe he just wasn't too mechanically inclined... and thought... if 6V is good... 8V must be even BETTER!!!

Personally... I wouldn't put an 8V battery in a farm tractor (whether it's a Ford N series, John Deere, Massey Ferguson, Farmall... whatever). I'd either fix the issues with the 6V system... or convert it to 12V. But that's just me.

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
I've just slapped in 8 volt batterys in lots of older tractors and never looked back... Never had a problem...
Well , I gotta admit the same and :ditto: Kbeitz remark. I did the same with my old 6v cars and trucks as well as tractors. Never had a problem
In recent past years , I have converted most to 12v.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
My comment was in reference to your comment:

"I did the same with my old 6v cars and trucks as well as tractors. Never had a problem"

soundguy

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
My comment was in reference to your comment:

"I did the same with my old 6v cars and trucks as well as tractors. Never had a problem"

soundguy
:sidelaugh My Dad told me about the 8v, all I needed was a old pair of pliers and a claw hammer . I was in bussiness!!
Back in those days , wasnt there a adjustment on a voltage regulator to change V-output?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I covered adjusting a vreg way back in post #5.

"back in those days" ??? You STILL can adjust a mechanical vreg -IF- you know how.

some were/are easier than others and provide an adjuster screw.. most don't.

soundguy

Back in those days , wasnt there a adjustment on a voltage regulator to change V-output?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts