My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

It's been a few months since I've been here, but it's good to be back.

A few updates on the 69 SS 12. During the last snowstorm we had here up in Northern MA, I was blowing about 25" making the final pass of my driveway and I think I broke a bearing or something inside the motor as she stalled right there. I figured it was something simple, tried to turn her over, no dice. Towed her back to the garage and tried to manually turn the flywheel, she's stuck. Maybe bent rod or some sort of bearing in the crank? Not sure. I even checked the oil to make sure she didn't sieze that way.

So there she sat for the past few months.

So now that spring is here I want to get her up and running for the winter so I have a few questions about some repower scenarios I have been toying with :fing32::

1. I have access to 3 of the same motors (12HP Tecumseh). I can always just swap the motor out with a known good one.
2. I also have access to a 16HP Onan twin. This would be ideal, although upon searching I can't see if this motor would be a clean swap with only minor mods on the 69'. Does anyone have any experience or know some good documentation on trying this?
3. A more far fetched option would be to repower with a diesel motor. Has anyone tried this? This is the option that I've done the least amount of research on - but it always pops back into my head as an option.

Hope you all have had a good past few months. Before you know it the snow will be back (did I really just say that?) and we will be have a great time out there. :ROF

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I think you will have to change the front frame and hood to put a Onan on it. Onan front frames are a little longer, and have tabs for the mounting bolts. I haven't tried to put an Onan engine in the place of a Techy, so I could be wrong. I have just noticed that the Hoods on ST's are about three inches shorter, than SS/twins. Just some thing to consider, before you get involved.
:wwp: , I hope this helps.:fing32::fing32: Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
SC is right, frames are different. You could always weld tabs on the frame to bolt Onan in vs swapping out front section, but I think they were a stamping in the frame and bent out and the bolt would actually sit right were the side of the frame comes up. Wold have to take apic of my parts tractor to expalin correctly.
There have been several guys on here do a diesel swap on suburbans, have to do a search for them.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,691 Posts
Easiest thing would be to plop another 12 HP Tecumseh on it...then you avoid all the mods needed to the chassis to bolt an Onan on,or the clutch idler pulley,etc...just bolt it on and go back to work...your original engine may have inhaled a throttle butterfly screw,lots of them did that--or a valve might have seized up,etc...might not be a hard fix...
I have a "junked" '74 SS-16 that had a Onan on it lying in the woods rusting,the front half of the chassis could be used to convert a Suburban to a Onan ,but I used the clutch idler pulley and bracket on another tractor,I only kept the rest of the carcass for front axle and steering parts and some other stuff still on it...or if I had the ambition to try installing a 24 HP Onan I had to one of my Suburbans..(highly unlikely now)..

I would like to have a diesel on a Suburban,but the high cost of one has prevented me from having one...might not be the best choice on a frigid winter morning when its time to plow though,my diesel pickup has proved hard to fire up on days like that,when its needed most...parts for those one cylinder deisels might be costly and hard to get too..that would be discouraging if it decided to break down in the middle of plowing..

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have a front subframe from an Onan-powered Suburban of unknown pedigree. I bought it for a project that is on-hold. I dug it out of long-term storage (i.e. "the junk pile") for a photo op. Typical Tec and Briggs mounting holes are a rectangular pattern in the center of the flat spot. The Onan engines are bigger, and require a bend-out tab (rear) and a weldment tab (front.) Don't ask me why they did it this way ... would seem that if you could bend out one tab, you could do two.

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
20,691 Posts
I've seen a few guys weld angle iron to the chassis to take the place of those tabs,when they stuffed an Onan onto a single cylinder chassis to make a puller or yard beater...

I dont know for sure if the Onan chassis are longer than the other single cylinder ones or not,I think they might be,I never measured and compared them against one another...
I suppose if they are different you could modify the hood and grille so an Onan fits..I do know the SS-16 hood is flared out to clear the Onan on the sides,but dont know if its longer also...hood I have is pretty roached!..but savable if your determined..

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I do know the Hood on a ST/ 16 is about 2" shorter than the Hood on my 16/6 Twin.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys!

I have another tractor that I am restoring for mowing my lawn, it's a 1970 Deere 110. I plan on using the Suburban as a Winter tractor primarily and would love to tinker around with it, especially since I "may" have all of the required parts to stuff a twin in there and it's worth a project.

I will take all of this into consideration and will create a new thread if I decide to give it a shot :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I have a 68 ss12 but a Briggs 11hp industrial plus was added. It has some brackets with a needle bearing I dont know if it is nessacary or if its for an alternate drive. didnt take pics when I was disassembling. the welds are pretty sketchy. attempting to add pic now

Brandon

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks. Probably good I didn't cut it off the welds just look horrible couldn't recall if it was that or part of the original engine mount that's what it is thanks again for the reply

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
You should look into the diesel repower. There is a member on here that did one in a Sub. with a 10hp. (Don't know how his username is exactly. Something like Diesel-Suburban)

I'm currently repowering my '73 John Deere 110 with a 6hp model from Carroll Stream. (Link in my sig.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Engine is in, exhaust is in new what to do on intake manifold. Anybody have pics of clutch / brake pedal belt pulley I didn't take pictures during disassembly and can't remember 100% sears direct pics are not the clearest. Thanks in advance

Sent from the MTF Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Looking good man. Keep up the good work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts