My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys hope you can help i just picked up a 68 sub 12 in good shape but they run it with no oil and now it needs a piston rod and rings i hope the rest is in nice shape i don't want to part it out i want to save it and add to my collection but all i can find on internet is parts for snowblower motors were can i find parts for it sears has nothing motor # 143 592082 i hope the pic comes out thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I'd take it a part to see what you really need. You might need more then you think or less. You might even be able to break it loose.

You can get parts for a HH120 but they can be hard to fine. Used parts you can get on ebay a long with some new parts.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,415 Posts
Wow,looks identical to both of mine!..:)

I'll let you know if I see any HH Tecumseh's around for parts..chances are yours can be saved,the connecting rod will be what I'd be worried about most,hopefully the crank wasn't scored,I dont know if any undesized rods are available for that engine..rings and pistons can be had,but probably are not cheap..the Timken roller bearings on the crank are pretty tough,but if they got wiped out they can be replaced fairly easy..

You could put another engine on it for the time being--I bought a '74 SS16 for parts that someone evidently swiped the Onan motor from it,then put an 8 HP briggs on it instead,the guy said it never lacked for power for all he used it for..the only hard part is the clutch idler bracket on yours bolts to the engine originally,so it'll take some adapting to get that part working,or you can get one off a later one that bolts to the battery tray instead--rest of the swap consists of drilling some new holes to mount the engine or make a simple flat adapter plate if you dont want to drill more holes instead..

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Great find!! :trink39:

Not sure if it's Briggs motor or not, but Briggs(not Sears) model # should be engraved on the motor cover. Go to Briggs' website with that #, they do offer some parts. If it ceased, then(like the post above me says) you could do a swap which in my experience, can get a little bit tricky, but isn't impossible.

If you weigh out prices for replacing the engine, you could take it to a machine shop. e-Bay's another good option.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The clutch idler is not that hard to remedy , if you can find the
part to convert it over.

I have two 68 Suburbans, one is all original except i converted the
motor to points using HH100 side cover and points setup.

The other one I am "slowly" working on and putting a 10hp diesel in it.

You need to find a fuel tank and battery mounting plate from a newer
sears tractor that has the clutch idler mounted to it instead of
the engine and then you can pretty much stick any engine in it
as long as it fits.....

I bought these about two months ago,

Ebay item # 200324440092
and # 200324440058

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys i can turn the motor3/4 of the way aruond so im tinking rod but as stayded i need to pull apart im sure its a tecuhsum or how ever you spell it motor the funning thing is i have a 68 ss all apart and in the painting stage right now so when i get the motor back on i'll have room i'll keep you posted thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
hmm 3/4 may be alot of carbon buildup in there or some critter
made a home in it:)

if you can move it you have hope......

there is a hh120 on ebay right now.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,415 Posts
I just saw a ST-10 on CL in the Boston Farm and Garden section for 100 bucks!--nice looking tractor,but it says the motor needs rebuilding ?--its a HH100 by the looks of it,the Tecumseh with timken bearings too..there is two others just listed on the RI CL F&G site too!..so if your looking for parts,here is your chance--but all of the tractors looked very restorable!..

I agree if you can get 3/4 of a revolution out of the engine,it could be a stuck valve too,or crud built up in the combustion chamber..I found a mud dauber wasps nest in one engine I got on a free Murray tractor the woman said was "seized",according to her husband--more like "beeeezed"!!..it started up after I tiik the head off and cleaned it out and put it back on!.. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts