My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Massey-Ferguson mf 12 for $50

I have a few questions, sorry because I am new to these forums.

First is, does anyone know how to read the serial number?

14 46 506 681

for example, is this a 1968 model 1, or a 6- 1981?

Next would be the carburetor be a carter? it has the number 127/27, reason being is I would like to rebuild it or replace it because the top the throttle arm coming out the top of the carb has slop like it is egg shaped and I believe this may be causing an air leak.

Next would be the starter- it keeps sticking, and I have to spin the round part just before it enters the engine or else it just clicks "bad armature?".

Was this originally a 6v system? I tired starting it with my smaller battery which was 6v but not enough cc amps, so I got out the 12v car batt. and it turned it over. For the ampers, is this run off the magneto?

Last question would be for parts...

I really admired tweidmans restoration and was wondering where I could get parts i.e. seals, decals, electrial components.

Thanks for any help guys, and I also should add the MF is my third tractor

I have a anniversary edition tsc and also a rear engine murray "forrest gump"
but this mf is by far the best built and all around awsome. taking it out the first time was outstanding. i think I have the itch

·
Registered
15 Posts
welcome. i am a newbie as well.
wish i only spent 50.
parts can be found on this site,yahoo groups, and ebay.
tw and olcowhand may have something laying around. maple hunter for decals but i have heard that the sets are not complete but close.
i am also doing a restoration.
not sure of the serial number, had that same thought my number is 500319
love the number <its my b day>
good luck

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

Some parts are still available from agco. If you go to agcopartsbooks.com you can get the parts diagrams. I recently ordered decals from Maple Hunter for my 8 and all the major ones are there and console labels, warning stickers etc. The only thing missing was the electric start decal.
I ordered some parts from the local MF dealer- wheel bushings and seals and bearings for the Peerless transmission. There are a couple of parts suppliers that do sell MF parts and it is hit and miss for what yoyu can get new. Used parts come up but seem to be in demand these days as people are realizing that these are great little tractors and look and work great when restored.

Cheers
Brian

·
I bleed M-F red
787 Posts
Your tractor would not be a '81, the 12 was only built until the mid 70's.
The engine is a Tecumseh HH-120 and should have a Tecumseh carb.
The electrical system is 12v, not 6v. Like mentioned already, Maple Hunter has decals, and most all of the seals are still available from your local MF dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tweidman, jdbrian, and cbsollie, thanks for your fast response. I am lucky concerning the trans and that seems to have no leaks, although i've yet to cut or hook up the tiller; just a little putsin around while trying to tune the carb.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought these links might be helpful for someone else.

The first is a link about how to install the float spring. After pulling my carb apart, and looking at the book, looks like someone else just threw it in there any which way. according to the book, proper installation is important to get a proper adjustment 'tune'
http://www.greenindustryeducation.com/landsexpo/exhibits/Tecumseh.pdf

The second one is just for the people out there who don't have the book on the Tecumseh Walbro carb... local library helpful :-D
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts