My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About September or so I went and picked these up.
Back story fella on facebook posted on the groups seeing if some local would be interested in them. They were his dads and he just had no interest or abilty to work on them.

DSC00665.JPG Me Big Red and the 5.5 by 10ft trailer are at it again

DSC00662.JPG What im calling a 67 430 trans and motor with a newer frame. With supposed trans issues. Will get to that here.

DSC00661.JPG Lots of stuff

DSC00666.JPG Decks parts and stuff

DSC00667.JPG Commercial 12 drove on the trailer :D Plus sprayer, square shoot snow blower, plow, and a kit form 71 432

DSC00669.JPG The 430

DSC00668.JPG Commercial 12

DSC00670.JPG Other 432 trans
Haul vid. Unloading seeing the 430 issues. Going threw and putting things away

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DSC00680.JPG Sprayer, blower ect and 430 in the shop

DSC00694.JPG Other angle with the C12 battery chargeing

DSC00708.JPG Moveing stuff around makeing room to pull the motor off the 430
Figuring out what my issues might be

DSC00733.JPG seat pan off getting ready to pull the motor

DSC00735.JPG When I pulled the motor I had no idea what was in store for me!

DSC00736.JPG

DSC00737.JPG Literally drove it into the shop on one gear!

DSC00749.JPG Total and utter carnage of a high low planetary gear set :14_6_5:
The carnage

DSC00743.JPG In the haul there was a spare high low planetary

DSC00755.JPG Put it in

DSC00758.JPG Put motor back on still no high gear :crybaby: :maddd: I walked out the shop that night wishing I had sold it the way it was. While inside that night pondering. I thought it has to be the high side key way sheared on the crank!
The first round going together.
Finding out what was wrong. My disappointment can be heard
Pulling the input gears
DSC00767.JPG Most of you know I don't give up so easy. When I pulled the motor the next night. The rear gear spun on the crank. It was an all out battle to remove the gears. But im a fighter and won.

DSC00774.JPG But still was not out of the woods yet! When I went to put the gear back on with key there was so much play realizing the crank was worn from the gear spinning on there :crybaby:
Heres the vid of that
DSC00802.JPG My only hope was the new style on piece gear to work off the good keyway and gear surface. An ebay order for the gear, and adjustable reamer and bushings for the high low plantary
DSC00806.JPG New gear installed
take it apart
DSC00814.JPG Re bushed and reamed to fit

DSC00819.JPG My first planetary rebuild
Putting it back together
DSC00823.JPG I put her together that night and drove it out to the truck in the dark to take and pressure wash it the next day :dancingpa It worked perfect and one of the quietest 400 transmission's I own now

The final except for an 810 hood I added later

DSC00919.JPG For right now thats it on the 430. till I get the early frame and trans to match the 67 year in February or so when I go out to my buddies for the blow in

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I had half of your skills and knowledge...
Thanks. Alota as my uncles called it the school of hard knox. Learned it all from doing it. And good portion from my grandpa, uncles, electrical from my dad.

The partial gravely stuff came from the older guys posting and fixing things. And I've soaked it up like sponge. Hence the reason I post of fixing and working on things. I know i've inspired others threw my video's and posts.

·
Super Moderator
10,904 Posts
Great work, and congrats on your first planetary rebuild, Steve! When I get more time I'm going to watch your vids, but seeing your pics told the story too. Guaranteed your transmission is more quiet than my 430's too. I saved my old planetary when I put the new one in several years ago. It's around somewhere just in case.

Nice haul too, BTW.

Just back from watching your last vid. I had to see how it sounded. I couldn't hear your trans. at all! You really *do* have a hard decision to make if you're going to keep it, or not. It's a nice tractor.

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This work here was pretty recent last month or so.

DSC00785.JPG
First time trying the commercial 12 out. Clutch rods were outa adjustment.

DSC01012.JPG Threw a deck on

DSC01018.JPG Changed de trans water out for fresh oil.

DSC01029.JPG Went out and tryed it out

Worked pretty good

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great work, and congrats on your first planetary rebuild, Steve! When I get more time I'm going to watch your vids, but seeing your pics told the story too. Guaranteed your transmission is more quiet than my 430's too. I saved my old planetary when I put the new one in several years ago. It's around somewhere just in case.

Nice haul too, BTW.
Thanks Dave. Up till this point just never had a reason or need to rebuild. But no time like the present.

Was a decent haul. If I didn't mention it above I only gave 300 for this whole lot of stuff

·
Super Moderator
10,904 Posts
Just back from watching your last vid. I had to see how it sounded. I couldn't hear your trans. at all! You really *do* have a hard decision to make if you're going to keep it, or not. It's a nice tractor.

300 for everything just made it a *great* haul!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Steve, about that C 12 of yours. Does it have locking reverse as set up? Mine has another set of holes. That switches it to locked out reverse. Using another style shifter. I've seen other C 12's set up that way. I don't recall seeing it in the owners manuals, but maybe its in them some place....

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok think im getting this new setup up mtf has done figured out. Goods and bads I feel.

But regardless I'll say late September or so I went and picked up the motor for the 432 in kit form. Long story short forgot about since it was over in the neighbors garage

DSC00801.JPG

Threw my parts motors I was able to put it together enough and see what it would run like
DSC00933.JPG

Seemed pretty good here
The other 69 432 had a smokeing and knocking motor. So stuck it on there
DSC01099.JPG

Once it was on the tractor found out it to smoked. But as a plus no knock
DSC01103.JPG

Already 30 over and piston very sloppy in bore. Be good candidate for a 40 over rebore perhaps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts