My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys-I posted this in my Wheel Horse 656 Restoration post but received no replies-I've checked the wiring diagram for the 656 tractor and see no solenoid for the starter-does this ignition switch carry all the amperage for the starter?

· Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys-surely there's someone out there who has one of these 656's or something similar-please take a look under the hood and see if there is a sloenoid-Thanks-AL:i_praying

· Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no solenoid pictured in the wiring diagram-it is not built into the starter-the large cable coming from the starter positive contact seems to go thru a grommet in the hood stand and go directly to the ignition switch-the switch is large, although it only has 3 wire connectors. I wish I had a picture of it. I don't see any evidence of a solenoid anywhere-not even a place that it would be mounted on the tractor-Thanks-AL

· 20,000 +posts!
20,933 Posts
I'm not familiar with your WH,but my Sears Suburbans with a starter-generator have no solenoid,and use an ignition switch with heavy enough contacts to handle starting current,so its possible yours may be set up in similar fashion.. you can ADD a solenoid pretty easily if you wish,then any switch can be used,from a simple push button ,or whatever you wish./.if you want to keep it 100% original ,you'll need the right ignition switch..

· Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think your right-the switch is original and HEAVY DUTY. I'm going to hook it up just as they have it in the diagram. Thanks-AL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.