My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bannana: Hey Guys!-I just received a 656 from a tractor give -a-way at a meet and greet @ Teddy Da Bears place. It's 95% complete. Just needs a lot of TLC. It was taken apart about 50% for salvage, but it seems everything is there. I need to find an Electrical diagram and a manual if possible. I have down loaded the parts drawings from Partstree.
I guess I'm going to have a Million questions-I plan to do a complete restore-so I want everything right. I will need to rebuild the tie rods
Also I need to drain and refill the tranny-How? and With what? Wheres the drain plug?
Whats a good source for decals? Can I use universal cable kits to redo the choke and throttle? Thanks for any help-I'm sure I'll be checking back-AL
Pics to come.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You can download the owner manual from the Files of
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals/
You will also find a lubrication chart there. The drain plug is in the left rear and flush with the bottom of the case. It is an Allen socket type and the hole is likely full of dirt. Clean it out and tap a good quality allen wrench into the hole so you don't strip the hex. Use a thread sealer when reinstalling the pipe plug. Make sure the GL5 gear oil you use is compatable with yellow metals. It should say so on the bottle.

Garry

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
Here is what Al got at the meet and greet.

I have always run kerosene through a dirty tranny. Then filled it with
gear lube. I believe that pipe plug on the left side is also the drain.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Guys!-I've been a bit busy on this project-heres a few pics to get up to date-
Started power washing the Crud off-

Started sanding

Broken pedal-

Started Priming with Rust-o leum-

Rear Hub right out of Electrolysis Bucket-

Hubs painted-Yeah -Black-call Mr Contrasty!-

Man-thats what I call an Axle!-

Finishing Primer with Rust-o-leum "Rusty Metal Primer"-

Sorry for the glare!-Primer done-

Worked on Hood today-dinged out some dents-started sanding-More pics later-Thanks-AL

·
ROJ
2,191 Posts
looks like a fun project Al.it will make a great tractor when its done and you will love the sense of having been the one that brought it back to good condition.

·
Super Moderator
17,205 Posts
Got that from the "Bear"-huh?? Good deal!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made a parts run today to Michigan. Went to see The Bear & Archie (wheel horse 1045)-Thanks guys!-I took a deck home ,a front wheel,a shift knob, some Lugs for the rear wheels,a PTO pedal, some seat springs, a battery box, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree-Oh -no-that's from another piece of literature.
Now-back to the grind stone-Thanks-AL! :sidelaugh

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Man you are right at work there. It will be no time before its finished!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys- I don't have any pics today-camera died-but I'll get some tomorrow-I finished sanding the Hood, Seat pan, And the drive belt guard today- filled in a few spot weld dents with putty and bumped out a few dents. I had the ELECTRO tank cooking all day-got a ton of parts ready to paint.
I filled the Tranny with diesel and hooked up a 1/2 inch drill running backwards to the trans input shaft-and ran it thru the gears-seems to work GREAT!.
Got to mig a few places on the seat pan and hood mount tomorrow.
The Deck I got from Teddy works like a charm, tight gears, good shell, the only thing I need are 2 blades-these are like chop sticks!- They are really odd-they drop down from the spindle then turn outward to have a cutting surface. I know, a pic would help.
The mounting of the seat pan is a mystery-the back I figured out-but the front has a hole on either side that doesn't seem to have a home. Better look at drawings again.
Archie came thru with perfect sized Lugs for the back tires, but I'm still searching for ties rods.
Things are going well, but just as I get one thing done-then I see three others that need attention-but I'm having a ball!-Thanks-AL

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys-heres the pics-
Hood with spot putty for spot weld dents-

Seat pan-heavy rust pitting-spot putty-

Of course, there is always a supervisor around-

I just had to set the seat pan on to see what it looked like-

Belt guard primed-

Seat pan and belt guard mock up-

Hood done-(ran out of the good primer)-

I just couldn't resist-I had to see what it looked like-cool!-

Deck is in superb shape-just have to ckean it up and give it good paint job.

Thanks for looking-AL:thanku:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:duh: Not much to report today guys-went up to Teddys to meet a couple guys and talk tractors but no one showed-one was not feeling well and the other broke down on I-94. But teddy and I brainstormed a few ideas on my 656 and he showed me his Vac unit he installed on his tractor-almost sucked his hand into the hole!- and that was at a slow speed. With the addition of a different spring, I think he will have a working unit.
I fixed my seat for the 656-primed it-and moved the bolts forward to gain a few inches for my rearend to have room to sit there.
Looks pretty good. Now to gather enough dough to get the paint for the final coat, and cannibalize the HH-60 off my Trail Blazer 7 Snow Blower to bring Frankenstein to life. More pics to come-Thanks-AL

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:sidelaugh My eyes are crossed from staring at the assembly drawings for the tractor and the deck-I finally figured out where all the pulleys I have in the box go. The large 3 row pulley mounts to the arm on the deck

I took a few other shots-including these of the HH-60 throttle and Governor linkages-

Heres a pic of the seat primed and set in place-

This is the type of blade this deck takes-

This is the dash panel out of the ELECTRO tank-is it supposed to be Shiny or painted silver?

Thats it for the day-Thanks for looking-AL:trink40:

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
Amazed and glad to see how eagerly you are working on this Al.
I think you need to start buying up horses and reconditioning
them for a living.

I believe that dash panel might be aluminum. Try a magnet on it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:banghead3 Gee Guys-I'm starting to wonder about breaking up my TrailBlazer 7 Snow Blower by taking the engine off it-for this tractor. Teddy and I talked about it earlier today. He offered to sell my another HH-60 he had with a good crank & rod,etc-which the one I got with the tractor doesn't have. I just checked the supplier I used for my K-301 rebuild-he has a kit-but says he bought all of the Rings they were left from his supplier-after they are gone, there are no more.
I want to work this tractor-and not be worried about breaking it and not being able to find parts for the engine.
My alternatives-
1.put a Chinese 6.5 HP engine on & deal with a smaller output shaft-about the same price as a rebuild
2.Rebuild the HH-60-pistons are only available in STD. size
3. look for a kohler to use

What do you guys think? I'm not worried about keeping it all original (although I may rebuild the HH-60 later)
Thanks-AL:fing20:

·
6,361 Posts
My alternatives-
1.put a Chinese 6.5 HP engine on & deal with a smaller output shaft-about the same price as a rebuild
2.Rebuild the HH-60-pistons are only available in STD. size
3. look for a kohler to use

What do you guys think? I'm not worried about keeping it all original (although I may rebuild the HH-60 later)
Thanks-AL:fing20:
Al I saw this ad and thought of you.

http://lansing.craigslist.org/grd/1311892050.html

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well guys!-Teddy was right-those Amish guys are hard on things!-I took the side cover off the Tecumseh HH-60 that came with the tractor-I took a few pics of the carnage-
This is a few pieces of the rod (snapped right in the middle) and the Broken Camshaft end-(governor & gear)

This a shot of the broken end of the cam & crank damage-

In this shot-if you use your imagination-you can see the broken piece of the rod peeking out of the piston bore-

Man what a mess!
Anybody need any obscure Techy parts?
After seeing the inside of my Kohler-I don't like what I see in this Tecumseh.
I seem to be having trouble with Native American Symbols lately
First the Chief said goodbye-

Then this Tecumseh (Indian Chief) showed up-Grenaded.
If I can't find a Kohler-I'm going Chinese-put the oil in & Gas-then turn the key. If I get the 11HP model-it even has a 1 inch shaft like the Techy-AL

1 - 20 of 77 Posts