My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know where to get stock front and rear tires and wheel covers for the 65 rf .

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
If you mean stock like the original BFGs or Firestones or Goodyears those tires haven't been made for 25+ years. If you mean the original size tires any tractor/lawn mower supply store like Tractor Supply Company will have them or can get them. They still are common size tires used today they just have different manufacturers. Roger

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I men't the Original size,the early 110's had skinny front tires and tall rear tires.thanks

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
There were four different tire/wheel combos: GT-1, GT-2, GT-3, and GT-4.

GT-1 and GT-2 were the narrow wheels front and rear, with "All-Purpose" tires on the GT-1 and "Traction" tires on the GT-2. Fronts were 4.8/4.00-8. Rears were 6-12.

GT-3 was the "High-Floatation" tire set, with the wider 16x6.50-8 (front) and 23x8.50-12 (rear).

GT-4 had narrow fronts (4.8/4.00-8) with "Studded" tires, and wider (23x8.50-12) rears with "Traction" tires.

GT-3 was not an option until 1964.

GT-4 was not an option until 1966.

Beginning in 1966, the tractor serial # indicated which tire package came as original equipment. I'm not sure how you'd know before 1966.

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The G4 would be what I want.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Again you can buy those tires many places. I know I have bought both of those sizes from www.tuckertire.com. That will send you to their E-Bay store so you can see what they have. I just generally call them on their 800 number. Prices are good and they are as cheap or cheaper on shipping as anyone. Roger

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
Why not order from a site sponsor like Miller Tire? He's running a shipping special right now I believe. :fing32:

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at Miller but was un decided what I wanted .Thanks

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
The G4 would be what I want.
According to my manual, GT-4 is not a compatible wheel set for a 1965 model (I'm not sure why?). According to the manual, GT-1,2,or 3 are your options.

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Urban tractor.Not sure why the information is like it is but it has the 4.8x4x8 now.

Attachments

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
Urban tractor.Not sure why the information is like it is but it has the 4.8x4x8 now.

Is that first photo a rear tire? I'm not familiar with the size indicated. But I seem to recall from your thread when you first got the tractor, that you have narrow rear rims?

At any rate, the fact you have the narrows on the front and back, is consistent with GT-1 and GT-2. (GT-4 was narrow front, wide rear).

So then the only question is which tread design, "Traction" or "All-Purpose"? I don't know enough about the tread patterns to comment. But you might call Miller tire and ask them -- I have a feeling they will know.

My '66 came (to me) with narrows on the front, and wide ("floatation", i.e. 23x8.50-12) on the back, sort of hybrid of GT-1/2 and GT-3. (I guess if it had studded fronts, it would be GT-4.) But that's not how it came originally. Mine is supposed to be a GT-2 narrow wheel/tire set (as indicated by the tractor serial number). I'm bummed that the narrow rears got separated from the tractor at some point. You still have narrow rears which is very nice. Don't part with them.

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are calling miller monday.the firs is a rear

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.