My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put electronic ignition on trac, put new coil,new rotary button,and new distributor cap because i cant get it to fire thru the plug wires.plug wires only 1 yr old. After all this same problem. the distributor is turning. any suggestions

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I don't know naything about the EI system? Are you getting power to the inside of the dizzy from coil wire? Is the right coil wire hooked up to the dizzy? You are talking about a 12 volt conversion? If so does your new coil have an internal resister?

Kirk

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
880 Posts
Describe your electronic ignition conversion.
Did you eliminate the points or do you still have points?
Was this a kit you bought?
First thing I would suspect is the trigger signal to the electronic unit. If this trigger is still coming from the points, double check your connections and that the points are still moving.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has been converted to 12 volt. the electronic Ign is petronix. it has a resistor on the outside which is new also. I am geting fire in the distibutor cap but nothing is coming thru plug wires. Headed to town to get another rotary button. when I get back I will check all conections. It was doing same thing with points.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the resistor out,same problem.There has got to be something I am over looking.It already had the 12 volt system with points.I left the key on and when I started to crank it a few days later the battery was dead. Charged the battery would not crank. I figured it burnt the points, So I figured good as time as any to swap to Electronic Ignition. I got a Pertronix Ign. put it in like instructions said. I can get fire in distributor cap but nothing thru plug wires. plug wires about a yr old. Checked wires everthing is connected good. What am I over looking. Thanks in advance.

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
880 Posts
You can also put a spark plug on the middle wire and look for a strong spark.

The only other thing I can think of is the timing is so far off the rotor is not lined up with a plug wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts