My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the X485 for a year now and love it. Smooth abundant power. Clean burning. Fuel injected. Ability to easily handle 3 point implements, like a rear blade. It was everything I wanted in a tractor when moving from the 318.

Since I bought it used, I took the mowing deck that came with it, which was a 62C mowing deck. I thought the extra foot in cutting width would be great since the machine had the power to turn it.

I have found that the X has no problem spinning the blades through all manner of grass. The shaft drive really helps.

On the other hand, it is heavy to mount/unmount and move, and with the extra width and the variations in my yard surface, it is hard to get as even a cut as the 318 had with the 50" deck. I also can't fit between some yard obstacles I previously could.

Knowing what I now know, I would have opted for a smaller deck. It would have taken 10 or so minutes longer to mow the lawn, but it would be worth it.

Bigger isn't always better.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Last year I purchase a x720 and got the 54" deck. It seems to be the right size. At the time, I got the tractor, both the 54" and the 62" decks were the same price. I understand the new HC decks are great but I sure like my new (old) 54C deck with a mulch kit and gator blades.

·
MTF mile high club member
5,918 Posts
You could always put a trade ad on CL and say you're looking for a 54"; people do that quite a bit around here; some want to go bigger and some want to go smaller. No big deal. :fing32:

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,658 Posts
As much grass as I mow weekly/ monthly/ seasonally, I'd love to have the extra 10" of width between the 54C and the 62C. I don't have any place where the wider deck wouldn't fit, and most of my lawn is level enough that scalping wouldn't be an issue, either.

What I really wish I'd bought was the 60" 7-Iron deck.

How much does the 62C clog up with wet grass? I find that my 54C is worse than the 48C deck on my GT235 to clog up, especially in the area along the front of the deck between the right side and center blade. It's been much worse this season, as there hasn't been a dry spell long enough for the grass to get truly dry.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I guess it all depends on the application and what the operator wants.

I have the 62" on my X585. Mowing over 3 acres, I wouldn't want anything smaller. There are no obstacles in my yard that it will not fit through. My deck is carefully adjusted and does a good job, The smaller deck will give a smoother cut but I am not concerned with perfection.

·
Proud JD Owner
1,757 Posts
I think the 54" deck is the perfect size for the X485-ish type machine if you are trying to get a fine cut on lawn around a bunch of obstacles. I would not have bought my X720 if it had a 62" deck on it.

Just all depends on your needs. I could see a 62" deck as an asset out in a 4-acre pasture. But for the "home place" I'd use the 54" deck.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe worth a ride across Indiana for that price.

Brand new

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/4006466764.html
Really. I'm betting the JD price is much more than $500

As much grass as I mow weekly/ monthly/ seasonally, I'd love to have the extra 10" of width between the 54C and the 62C. I don't have any place where the wider deck wouldn't fit, and most of my lawn is level enough that scalping wouldn't be an issue, either.

What I really wish I'd bought was the 60" 7-Iron deck.

How much does the 62C clog up with wet grass? I find that my 54C is worse than the 48C deck on my GT235 to clog up, especially in the area along the front of the deck between the right side and center blade. It's been much worse this season, as there hasn't been a dry spell long enough for the grass to get truly dry.
I don't get any clogging - but if you are referring to grass collecting on the underside of the deck - I did notice some collecting on the front of the deck, but it doesn't affect the discharge.

I don't get a lot of scalping, but I have enough small radius rolling areas that I get some shorter cuts.

I guess it all depends on the application and what the operator wants.

I have the 62" on my X585. Mowing over 3 acres, I wouldn't want anything smaller. There are no obstacles in my yard that it will not fit through. My deck is carefully adjusted and does a good job, The smaller deck will give a smoother cut but I am not concerned with perfection.
I'm not anal about the cut on my lawn, but I also don't like it looking like crap. With sharp blades, the deck does a good job in the open sections.

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
Oh, I've driven farther for less. :D

Not sure of the price of the 54" deck for the X. The one you linked to is for smaller tractors and does not have a gear box.
Hey you are right, the gear one is probably even more money..........you better check and make sure that $500 new one isn't a scam then, that does sound pretty cheap.

·
Just John Deere
701 Posts
When is big, too big?

A mowing deck is NEVER too big. Your yard is too small. Get a bigger yard! ;)

I have a 1 1/2 acre lot, but 75% is natural. For years I used my 345 with the 44" Piranah mulching deck. Then, I got a 425 with a 54" deck and liked it better because I have some hills. Then, I bought a 455 with a 60" deck. I sharpened the blades and thought I would see how it cut. Of the three decks, I believe the 60" deck is the best cut. The 60" deck is overkill for my yard, but I like it. I occasionally cut about an acre of common ground in my SD and love the 60" deck for that. DUH!! :fing32:

So many mowers, which one to use?

GotDeeres

·
Super Moderator
15,924 Posts
I would have probably went with the 54C deck but I have alot of pine trees to mow around and a ditch running through the back of my property that I wanted the extra width hanging out the side to get to the edge of the ditch and keep the tires as far from the edge as possible. I'm happy with the 62C but there are a few places in my lawn that a smaller deck would do a better job, I'm probably the only one that notices though.

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When is big, too big?

A mowing deck is NEVER too big. Your yard is too small. Get a bigger yard! ;)
:thThumbsU

I have a total of about 3 acres that I mow. I don't know that the neighbors would sell me any more of theirs. :sidelaugh

For anyone who wants the craigslist deck - don't wait on me - go for it. While I'd like to downsize a little bit (I know, I could lose my "guy card" saying such blasphemous things) I'm in no hurry to do so.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe worth a ride across Indiana for that price.

Brand new

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/4006466764.html
OK - so you guys have got me thinking it may be time for a road trip.

I called the fellow. He seems like an old farmer from down that way. He said his friend purchased a tractor with the deck, then bought a loader and finish mower.

He seems knows what it's worth and is just trying to move it given that he's hours away from most anywhere.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have tried using Dads 54" deck on my yard. It bridges to many areas and scalps others. Buy a deck for the topography not just time saving size.:fing32:

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
OK - so you guys have got me thinking it may be time for a road trip.

I called the fellow. He seems like an old farmer from down that way. He said his friend purchased a tractor with the deck, then bought a loader and finish mower.

He seems knows what it's worth and is just trying to move it given that he's hours away from most anywhere.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

Sounds like a nice Saturday trip, it will be worth it. Any chance he can snap of picture of it before you set out for it just to make sure it is what it is?
Leave at 5am, you will be home for dinner. Probably be a long time before you find a new one for that price.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like a nice Saturday trip, it will be worth it. Any chance he can snap of picture of it before you set out for it just to make sure it is what it is?
Leave at 5am, you will be home for dinner. Probably be a long time before you find a new one for that price.
:thThumbsU

I just asked him if he could send a cellphone pic. He said he was 75 and doesn't mess with the newfangled gadgetry. Just has a Tracphone.

Oh well, wtf. I'm going to throw the dog in the car, rig up the hitch carrier to handle a wide load, and strap it to the back. That way I won't kill the fuel mileage too much.

Thanks Jimbochap! You just cost me $500 and a roadtrip. :MTF_wel:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.