My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday when I was mowing some extra heavy overgrown grass, I ran into some clumps of dried grass from the previous mowing I guess this was too much. The tractor started making a different noise and I lost all hydraulic power for the pto, power steering and FEL. Since I have not been able to find a service manual for this Cub I can only guess one of the hydraulic pumps has gone out. The tractor still drives ok. Your direction on thing to look at will be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
790 Posts
Tom,

I have experienced a similar problem with my 6284. In my case the tractor (under load) would start to squeal and would not move forward. If I let it stand for about 15 seconds it then seems OK. It seems to happen when the tractor is fully warm, has been under load, and seems exasperated by making a hard lock turn. I wonder if the problem is somehow caused by foaming hydrostatic oil since the trans, PTO, and power steering all use the same fluid (though different pumps).

How many hours are on your machine? Have you changed filters and/or hydraulic fluid? Be sure to see the post I made recently about a factory bulletin recommending the use of a different model of trans filter and installing a special filter adapter (see http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=87114.

I am not sure if making this recommended change is in any way related to the issues we have seen, but it sure seems possible. I have purchased the new style filter and adapter but have not had time to install them so I don't have any way of knowing yet what the results will be. BTW - do be sure that you use the correct hydraulic fluid in your hydro - the factory and people I have talked to have been very specific about that.

Please keep us updated on your situation and I will do the same. Hopefully we can learn something useful about this.

JN

·
Registered
790 Posts
I just completed my first hydraulic filter replacement (25 hrs). I used the upgrade filter recommended by the factory (723-3071) and it seems to have smoothed out any issues. I would recommend to anyone with a 6284 that they check the factory bulletin and be sure that their tractor has the reverse flow filter adapter and the recommended replacement filter as it does appear to make a difference.

JN

·
Registered
15 Posts
(sorry for lateness, havent been here in a while.)

Mine quit last winter then started working again I figured it was just cold... few days/weeks later it quit for good. Check the pully on the auxillary hydraulic pump. It has a taperlock hub. I think it spun the hub on the shaft (first loss.) then wedged for a while until I loaded it enough to spin it again.
McMasterCarr had the hub, and new keystock 1/10 of cub price and next day.
I check the hub a few weeks ago and the key was working out. I drove it back in and peened the end of the hub to hold the key from walking out....

Mike

·
Registered
790 Posts
That's good information. I will be sure to check mine right away to be sure I don't have a similar issue with mine.

Thanks for the information!

JN

1 - 5 of 5 Posts