My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I located a 62 SS in Marshall AR. For the most part it is dissembled in preparation for a rebuild. 327-350 HP, power glide Automatic. Supposed to be a true SS with all original parts and pieces and matching numbers.
I have to work on my roll-back wrecker first , then I hope to drive down there to lay a eye on the 62.
Maybe I will have a good story and pics later today.
Im going to a huge swap-meet tomorrow in Springfield MO. hope to find some 49 or 50 ford parts, if any MTF members get that way , have some one to page Don Bailey. I will find ya.

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice ! Nice year also. That should be a bubbletop right?
I dont think 62 had the bubble or as I always called the bikini top. 61 had that , I like that roof top. The 62 came out with the step down roof top. Not sure if thats what I should call it. Ill post a pic. this car is also "retail red" BUT not this nice!

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,687 Posts
I'll have to check back this evening after work to see how you make out with the SS. A very nice ride IMO. So is your Ford for that matter...

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well , sorry to say I didnt get to go look at the SS. I worked all day on the roll back truck. I just came in from cleaning the shop and tools.
Tomorrow I will be all day at the swap meet in MO. SOoo maybe Sat. morning I can go check it out.

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
surrreeeee....keep us hanging.. :D :D
Sorry to keep ya hanging, I just got back from looking it over and under. bottom line, the body and fenders are a rust pit and should be used for ditch fill. I passed on this one . another will come along. Price was to good to be true. he would take two thousand for it. In some ways its worth that ,but its to much work for me to want to start on. I better stay with the old ford build for now.
BTW , Paul, there was a bubble top 62 at the swap meet yesterday,all original!

·
Administrator
12,687 Posts
All the Ford guys are rejoiceing that you didn't buy the Bowtie.

I went have a look at a real nice freshened up 63 Falcon Convertible today. 6 cylinder , auto, bench seats and real nice repaint. Asking $5500. My wife wants a ragtop just for fun, the Falcon is not our first choice but was worth a look and the price seemed decent. We won't put an offer on it though. She wants a Caddy ragtop (59 Eldorado Biaritz to be exact) but will settle for a 70's Eldorado instead. The Falcon just doesn't compare is her opinion. Personally, I just want to get my Cutlass painted and start driving it again, it's been on mothballs since 91. A house w/ renovations and 2 kids later and it doesn't seem like I'll ever get back to it ,although my oldest daughter keeps asking when we can take it for a spin so maybe there hope. Take care... Mike
Any progress on the ford now that you have the a/c going?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Doc sorry to hear about the condition o the car. It's a shame. Several years ago brother had a 64 SS. Body all original but it had a 283 with .10 overbore and a Muncie 4 speed. Nice car, sold it when he went into the airforce.

·
Super Moderator
32,153 Posts
Sorry to hear that Don... but you know... sometimes a passed on project is a good thing. :D :D

BOSOX, You know... there is nothing like a nice big, full size ragtop for crusing!!! I have a 72 LTD.. As with you... its been sitting for about 9 years now... With the house, and 2 young kids there just was not time... Getting the ich now though... Kids are getting older, and more at a age when they can enjoy the nice top down ride in it around town. I started picking up parts, and hope to have her back up and thumping down the road next summer!

·
Administrator
12,687 Posts
BOSOX, You know... there is nothing like a nice big, full size ragtop for crusing!!! I have a 72 LTD.. As with you... its been sitting for about 9 years now... With the house, and 2 young kids there just was not time... Getting the ich now though... Kids are getting older, and more at a age when they can enjoy the nice top down ride in it around town. I started picking up parts, and hope to have her back up and thumping down the road next summer!
If we ever find the right Cad, I'll grab it for her. Doesn't have to be a show queen but I want a good runner w/ no rot. As for the Olds, I've been thinking of pulling it out in the fall to clean out the stall and make some room. Maybe start puttering a bit over the winter. We'll see...

Sorry for the hyjack Dr. B :sorry1:

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If we ever find the right Cad, I'll grab it for her. Doesn't have to be a show queen but I want a good runner w/ no rot. As for the Olds, I've been thinking of pulling it out in the fall to clean out the stall and make some room. Maybe start puttering a bit over the winter. We'll see...

Sorry for the hyjack Dr. B :sorry1:
Thats NO hyjack, I like it when we strike up a conversation.Its all interresting to me. Anyone can tell about there past ride or dream ride.
Paul didnt you move the convert. out side a couple years ago?

·
Banned
2 Posts
i never owned a impala but always loved the look of them ..To bad it was to rough ...the next car i want to do after my Vega is done ..Is a 69 -73 nova i always liked them cars for some reason as i have owned 5 of them in the past but sold them off

·
Administrator
12,687 Posts
Thats NO hyjack, I like it when we strike up a conversation.Its all interresting to me. Anyone can tell about there past ride or dream ride.
Paul didnt you move the convert. out side a couple years ago?

OK Doc you asked for it, here goes. The Olds is my first car, it's a 1980 that I bought from my dad in 1986 or so. 2 door hardtop, rebuilt 355ci Olds v8 (in my gallery actually if you want a look) . The interior is all new out of a recovered theft 87 Cutlass Salon w/12000 miles . I bought it years ago at a local wrecking yard I was friendly with. I wish I'd have had a rotisserie like yours to do all the work on it. I layed on my back welding and sand blasting for days on end 16 years ago out in a quonsett hut in my folks back yard. I have a catalog of photos but it's all on film and I have no way to scan them onto the computer. All the steering and suspension was redone from a kit. PST polygraphite bushings all around and KYB shocks. I want her to turn a little better than in stock form. I boxed the rear control arms and had a friend rebuild the rear end w/ a cone style limited slip diff. The Trans. is a 700r4 out of an Iroc camaro and a BOP behousing adapter to join it to my engine. Lastly it'll wear stock Olds Rally wheels, 15" rear and 14" front. It was in style back in the day. Outdated now but I don't care. No 20" rims for me. Not much more to tell except it's been sitting in my 3 stall dream garage for 12 years untouched. Gotta get moving my dad and I have a road trip we want to get too before long.

How long have you owned the ford?

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
OK Doc you asked for it, here goes. The Olds is my first car, it's a 1980 that I bought from my dad in 1986 or so. 2 door hardtop, rebuilt 355ci Olds v8 (in my gallery actually if you want a look) . The interior is all new out of a recovered theft 87 Cutlass Salon w/12000 miles . I bought it years ago at a local wrecking yard I was friendly with. I wish I'd have had a rotisserie like yours to do all the work on it. I layed on my back welding and sand blasting for days on end 16 years ago out in a quonsett hut in my folks back yard. I have a catalog of photos but it's all on film and I have no way to scan them onto the computer. All the steering and suspension was redone from a kit. PST polygraphite bushings all around and KYB shocks. I want her to turn a little better than in stock form. I boxed the rear control arms and had a friend rebuild the rear end w/ a cone style limited slip diff. The Trans. is a 700r4 out of an Iroc camaro and a BOP behousing adapter to join it to my engine. Lastly it'll wear stock Olds Rally wheels, 15" rear and 14" front. It was in style back in the day. Outdated now but I don't care. No 20" rims for me. Not much more to tell except it's been sitting in my 3 stall dream garage for 12 years untouched. Gotta get moving my dad and I have a road trip we want to get too before long.

How long have you owned the ford?
All the different parts and toys add up in cost fast! I like the rally wheels, or the old craiger mag's. My ford will have 14 inch chevy steel stock wheels. with trim rings and baby moons. wheels painted red. Really old school. The rear wheels wont be visible any way. Full size needle nose bubble skirts on it. I have them already.
I have had the ford since round about 1980.I drove it one time ,then destroyed its driving ability. It will drive again some day:thThumbsU
This is a pic of a nice old ford, I dont know the owner, the pic is on the www. this is exactly what my Ford body will look like except for the color.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,687 Posts
That's gonna be a heck of nice looking car. Did you do the top chop yourself? I always wondered how tough it would be to do that kind of modification. The skirts look awesome too. I think I posted a picture in one of your threads of my brothers FIL's 50 Ford. His car has the skirts as well. He drives the heck out of it all summer and some time in the winter as long as the roads aren't full of salt. Looking forward to more progress photo's of your car. Hoping it will inspire me to get moving on mine. :trink39:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts