My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any idea how many grease pumps for each deck spindle for a 60HC deck on a X738 ?

i've heard answers like, a couple, 10, 20 or until it leaks out.

asked my dealer, he was no help

thx

J
____

2017 John Deere X738 60" auto-connect deck, johnny bucket, purchased sept 2017
1986 John Deere 316, 50" deck, purchased jan 1987, B43e onan died 2017, re-powered w P216
2010 Cyclone Rake Z10

·
Registered
987 Posts
If you're keeping up on maintenance, greasing at the intervals in the manual, I'd say 3 pumps per spindle is fine. As far as I recall, you cannot see grease come out anywhere on the deck spindles so you can't judge by that.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
35,305 Posts
Well, till grease comes out isn't the right answer since they are sealed bearings. you are really filling the area between the bearings so probably just a few pumps a year is plenty.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
the above answers, about 3 pumps 1 or 2 times a year, are correct, but PA318 hit the nail on the head!

Grease is used in the spindle housings to reduce the amount of air that can cause rust and not for bearing lubrication. This rust has no effect on mower or bearing performance, but it WILL creaate issues when replacing bearings. The spindle is pressed though the bearing and rust on the spindle will put more pressure on the bottom of the housing... usually resulting in blowing out the bottom of the casting!

As PA also mentioned, the bearings are sealed, but a hand grease pump can create 10,000psi which is enough to blow through the bearing seals! If resistance on grease gun handle is felt, just stop! Bob

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx for all the ideas/help

seems a bit odd that JD is usually so specific about its other maintenance that this one seems to be non-specific

will take my best shot

J
____

2017 John Deere X738 60" auto-connect deck, johnny bucket, purchased sept 2017
1986 John Deere 316, 50" deck, purchased jan 1987, B43e onan died 2017, re-powered w P216
2010 Cyclone Rake Z10

·
Registered
720 Posts
In December when I take my deck off to clean and paint the underside. I grease all 3 spindles then when the deck goes back on for the summer I'll grease them again end of July. Grease is cheap and the spindles are a pita to change -4-5 pumps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts