My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys back with a question about my 601 ford Workmaster! The lift on this tractor the whole time i`m using will sink down and jump back up constantly! Just lowers a couple inches and pops back up the whole time its running ! :banghead3 any ideas or will i have to break down tractor to get to the problem ?

·
Premium Member
8,086 Posts
Sounds like a leaky lift cylinder seal. The control handle linkage is made to keep the lift arms at a certain height for a given position of the lift handle, and the lift cylinder holds enough pressure to lift the load to the proper height, but then the valve closes so it doesn't lift any higher, but then it leaks off slowly and the arms drop, and then the control handle linkage kicks in and opens the valve and lets more pressurized fluid from the pump go back into the cylinder to lift it back up , and once it gets to the proper height the valve closes and it begins to leak down again...

You'll need to pull the lift cover and rebuild it. A rebuild kit is only about $20.00, and once you have the lift cover off it's not that hard to do. The hardest part is removing the lift cover and getting it back on, as it is heavy. You will need a helper or an overhead hoist or engine crane.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Before you tear into it. Take the side cover off at the running board and look up inside of it and see where its leaking at. It will save a lot of time if you have some idea whats leaking.
I think the manual calls this condition "hiccupping" Both of my prior 2000s have had this and one was repaired by replacing the lift piston Oring seal. The second one is waiting on time to tear into it.

·
Premium Member
8,086 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
******* u da man thanx! Must b time consuming to tear down! I am auto mechanic so I think I can figure it out! THANKS AGAIN!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts