My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of running new wiring to headlights. The original headlight assembly was never really that tight(you could rotate it by hand). I hit it up good with PB blaster and tried to tighten it, but now the bolt just rotates in place and the assembly is loser that it was before. Didn't want to pay the $60 a piece for new headlight, just wanted to replace the bulbs. I can't cut off bolt and get a new one because I don't think I will be able to find one. I tried cutting a notch out on the threaded end and used a flablade screwdriver to hold it in place while i turn the nut but that worked to no avail. Don't have a torch. Any ideas what I could do?

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
880 Posts
Did the hot wire go through the middle of that bolt?

The bolt does not have to be very long, maybe 1 inch? I think I would cut the nut, remove the bolt, and make a new bolt by drilling a hole down the center, 3/16 hole might do the trick for a single wire.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
You can hold the bolt with a box end wrench and use increasingly larger drills from the lamp side to drill the body of the bolt out. Then either do as suggested and drill thru a replacement bolt or simply drill a hole in the housing and run the wire thru a grommet.

That bolt has had it.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
To me, the bolt looks like it was a flat head (socket drive) screw drilled through the center. Can you find a similar fastener and try to manufacture a new one, before you remove the old? They may be hardened bolts, but you could even anneal one before drilling it out, since a headlight mount doesn't need a lot of strength. I think that a hex socket drive would work well for this, and give a nice pilot for the drill to start in.

I just noticed that this is an old thread, so I hope this isn't too late. If it is, please post what you did to fix this. Best of luck!

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
When I wired the headlights on my 8N I used a carriage bolt (½"?) that was drilled through, to carry the hot wire.
Why?
When I got the tractor... it had "headlights" on it (one of them was just the broken glass lense inside the shell)... that were held on by carriage bolts... and the mounting 'hole' in the headlight shell was square cut (it was actually a bit of a rectangle, IIRC, for adjustment).

It's worked great for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.