My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Wondering which striping kits work for the 60"HC X739. Wonder if any because of the limited clearance of the rear wheels turning?

John Deere Roller Striping Kit Part Number BM23648 This one says it will fit a 60" 7 Iron deck...would this mount to the 60" HC deck as well?

I'm not a 100% sure I will put one on as the deck doesn't a decent job striping without it but something I may do down the road.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have one on my X748se with 60D deck and it works well.

Regards,
Jon

·
Registered
64 Posts
Spartan - did you ever find the answer to this question? I have an x739 and would like to put some kind of striping kit on the 60hc deck.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes this striping kit fits the 60" HC deck. It works extremely well. I highly recommend it. It also helps the deck stay level in turns as well. It gives you a baseball field appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to trying this out.

How has the cut been with your x739 with 60hc?

The deck cuts the grass very well, but I've really struggled to get mine truly flat. Even when it is perfectly leveled and the tire pressure is perfect and the gage wheels are set close to the ground... any time there are bumps or I'm on the slightest sidehill, the downhill side of the deck seems to cut a little too deep. When the sun is low in the sky you see some ridging across the lawn. Maybe with 60" size you can't get away from this.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I know mine is in a different category, but my x534 has the same issue with not cutting level. Must be in the tractor itself because I kept the deck off my x530 which cut near perfect. :dunno:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Subdivisionbigdog - I've wondered often if this is a 4 wheel steer issue. When you turn the wheels on concrete it's clear the deck lowers on the outside of the turn, no matter how slow.

Like you I also had my deck on a 2 wheel steer before I traded for the x739 and it cut perfectly. Maybe just an issue with my tractor now, but definitely disappointing. The dealer has said this is as good as it gets for my setup, so no more help there. I'd like to see it improved before I add more accessories, like striping kit from above in this thread or power flow bagger.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Does anyone know if the BM23648 striping kit will fit the 54" deck on the x534? It looks like it should, but I don't really want to order one of these, and find out it wont' fit.

A response from Deere.com says it will fit x400/x500/x700 series decks. My worry is that it's the older x4#5/x5#5 models, and not the newer x500 series. I think the older series used a shaft drive deck, while the newer uses a belt drive deck.

My local dealer says he doesn't think it fits.

I'd love to find the answer here!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to trying this out.

How has the cut been with your x739 with 60hc?

Mine has been pretty good. You can notice a slight dip on the outside turns after cutting. But only here and there and not very noticeable. One thing I did was adjust my draft arms to as high as they go to get the most clearance when the deck is up. Then adjusted to level from there. Not sure if this helps but maybe?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought BM23648 this week. So far works great with good striping and also seems to make the mowing look flatter when finished. Install only took about 30 minutes. Here is a quick picture I took of the stripes, albeit on a small area and with grass getting pretty dry here.

Also, for anyone thinking of getting one, the dealer told me JD discontinued these and there were only 29 left in the country when I ordered mine. They are going to a brush because it's cheaper. He says he has one at home and they don't work nearly as well.

Attachments

·
Got Grass?
1,289 Posts
Does anyone know if the BM23648 striping kit will fit the 54" deck on the x534? It looks like it should, but I don't really want to order one of these, and find out it wont' fit.

A response from Deere.com says it will fit x400/x500/x700 series decks. My worry is that it's the older x4#5/x5#5 models, and not the newer x500 series. I think the older series used a shaft drive deck, while the newer uses a belt drive deck.

My local dealer says he doesn't think it fits.

I'd love to find the answer here!

I would have to imagine it is the older 4xx and older 5xxx series mowers. The one I ordered for my x520 was a brush and I was not satisfied with the results. I finally took it back off and tossed it. Wasnt worth the $100 to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
These mount onto the 7/8" diameter anti-scalp wheel holders. I don't think they'd fit a newer x500 belt drive without modifications. I'm sure someone handy could make it fit by making their own steel brackets though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
These mount onto the 7/8" diameter anti-scalp wheel holders. I don't think they'd fit a newer x500 belt drive without modifications. I'm sure someone handy could make it fit by making their own steel brackets though.
Why do you think they wouldn't fit? My 54" has wheel posts. Not totally sure their size. According to this info pasted below, my deck falls into that model number range. It seems like all the newer models have the 7/8" wheel posts. Older ones had a 1". I think I'm going to order one from the local dealer, and try to install it when the grass gets going again, in another week or two.

Compatibility:
- Any 60-in. 7-Iron Mower Deck used with a X700 Ultimate Tractor (kit includes everything needed)

- Model year 2008 and later 54-in. or 62-in. Mower Deck (serial numbers 100001- ) on X700 Ultimate Tractor or X400/X500 Heavy-Duty Garden Tractor (kit includes everything needed)*

- Model year 2004-2007 54-in. or 62-in. mower deck (serial numbers 040001-100000) on X700 Ultimate Tractor or X400/X500 Heavy-Duty Garden Tractor*
- Requires one left rear mower wheel arm (AM137264)*
- These mowers have the 7/8-in. (22-mm) diameter mower wheel post - roller striping kit is not compatible with earlier mowers with the 1-in. (25-mm) diameter mower wheel post

·
Registered
127 Posts
Here's a quick update for anyone searching. My x534 was at the dealer for a warranty issue (GRRRR!). While it was there, I asked them to see if the BM23648 striping roller would fit. They tried and said it would not. I guess that's the definitive answer!

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
Why do you think they wouldn't fit? My 54" has wheel posts. Not totally sure their size. According to this info pasted below, my deck falls into that model number range. It seems like all the newer models have the 7/8" wheel posts. Older ones had a 1". I think I'm going to order one from the local dealer, and try to install it when the grass gets going again, in another week or two.

Compatibility:
- Any 60-in. 7-Iron Mower Deck used with a X700 Ultimate Tractor (kit includes everything needed)

- Model year 2008 and later 54-in. or 62-in. Mower Deck (serial numbers 100001- ) on X700 Ultimate Tractor or X400/X500 Heavy-Duty Garden Tractor (kit includes everything needed)*

- Model year 2004-2007 54-in. or 62-in. mower deck (serial numbers 040001-100000) on X700 Ultimate Tractor or X400/X500 Heavy-Duty Garden Tractor*
- Requires one left rear mower wheel arm (AM137264)*
- These mowers have the 7/8-in. (22-mm) diameter mower wheel post - roller striping kit is not compatible with earlier mowers with the 1-in. (25-mm) diameter mower wheel post
Here's a quick update for anyone searching. My x534 was at the dealer for a warranty issue (GRRRR!). While it was there, I asked them to see if the BM23648 striping roller would fit. They tried and said it would not. I guess that's the definitive answer!
When they say x400/x500 series, they mean the x4/x5 tractors that are the older version of the x7 tractors. The current x5 tractors are a completely different breed and size is likely a big reason why the striping kit won't fit; there's barely enough room between the tires and striping wheels on an x7 (and a current x5 tractor is smaller).

·
Registered
127 Posts
That was how I interpreted the documentation, too. But I emailed Deere CS a few months back, and they said it would fit. I was skeptical, so I waited for a chance to have certainty. No one here could confirm. This confirmed it. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I need help... I just purchased this kit for my X758. I feel lost here... It sandwiches the left inner wheel?

I've flipped it, flopped it, switched it, afro rigged it... I can't seem to get the left side to not pinch the wheel and allow the bracket to apply pressure to roller number 3!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Check out the pics I posted on this thread. They show how to mount it on a 60hc. Note you have to flip the deck posts to the opposite side of the deck.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/12-john-deere-forum/160211-deere-striping-kit-rear-deck-roller-pics-2.html#/topics/160211?page=2
So this picture here. I get how to put it physically on to the deck. But it sandwiches the 3rd wheel in on the left side.

Does your 3rd wheel (one on the right) in this picture roll? And doors the axle actually come all the way out to the left side bracket?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 3rd wheel is tight on mine but yes it still rolls. Did you reverse the deck spindles? That moves it a little farther back. Also check the spindles to make sure they aren't bent, that can affect positioning.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts