My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call today, man was needing cash and wanted to sell me his Murray. All that was wrong, he said, it needed a battery. Now I'm curious, so I asked about it, was it running, was it smoking, etc., to all, he claimed no problems....

First notice the Grille on this one.....and yet engine code is 03xxxxxx, but DOM is 2005-02-17....so I'm seeing the DOM and seeing a mid 90's grille and hood. Or is this one, possibly that Murray was using up old parts before the Sep 2005 shut down?

Engine does have some problems.....

Well, it has the valve lash way off right now. And it wouldn't run after it fired until I took the air filter out. Then it was bogging down but would come up to speed until I engaged blades and then it dropped RPM's to maybe like half throttle would be. Deck is good, belts are good. tires are good. Paint is good.

So what's not to like? That engine is a POS. It smokes a little when you throttle it up. So it has seen better days. And I don't trust the new ones like this one. It says Powerbilt, but it looks like an Intek. I'll adjust the valves and then maybe need to check the carb, maybe just give it a cleaning. It acts like it is starving for gas from bogging down when you give it gas. Could be dirty,maybe. But I don't think I'll get hurt on the price I paid for it, I should get it sold fairly easily. It should bring $375, but the market seems to be tight right now. I may need to drop prices a little. Can't afford to hang on to these riders for too long.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
This what they called the "Murray Classic". They built them in the 2003 to 2005 range. Walmart sold them alongside the Widebody tractors. They sold for a little bit less than a 12.5/40" Widebody did, roughly $699 give or take a few. I know some people in town that have one of these, and it's a 2004 model. They were built using the '89-'96 pan frame tractor design.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
That is what they were calling the "Murray Classic". I think 2004 - 2005 they were going with that one. I've heard of engines being "2 years off" from the tractor DOM, but that's the first I've seen it. I think this is what Murray was offering at the Magic $999 price point. That one was built just a few months before the shutdown. I don't know, maybe it was desperate gasp to regain the sales glory days of the 1990's. They were putting out "Selects" at this time too, with 40" decks Dependable, easy to work on and affordable. All the things that make a Murray a Murray.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
This what they called the "Murray Classic". They built them in the 2003 to 2005 range. Walmart sold them alongside the Widebody tractors. They sold for a little bit less than a 12.5/40" Widebody did, roughly $699 give or take a few. I know some people in town that have one of these, and it's a 2004 model. They were built using the '89-'96 pan frame tractor design.
I missed your post HuffyCaprice1969 after I edited mine. Sorry if it looks like I'm repeating info in my post above. Thanks for the info. It's pretty cool how they brought that old design back into production. Why not, right? They needed to hit a price point, obviously they still had the tooling etc........I wonder if those decks are as loud as the early 90's ones.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it worked in my favor because when I saw it I said it was a mid 90's rider. I didn't tell him different when I saw the DOM on the label. Wouldn't have been unethical, anyway, since he was the one who set the asking price. I'm a little miffed with the engine, since he said it wasn't any problem. I kinda think I need to just pull it off and rebuild it and see if that solves the sluggish idle to full throttle response. But I only threw a battery in it and drove it off the trailer after looking it over while it was on the trailer.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not, right? They needed to hit a price point, obviously they still had the tooling etc........I wonder if those decks are as loud as the early 90's ones.
Yea, it would seem they had the tooling or a warehouse full of production line parts, maybe. But when I saw the frame it is very much the same as the mid to late 90's frames.

I couldn't tell you for sure about noisy deck on this one yet, I haven't got it to wind up to full throttle speed while the deck is engaged.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I missed your post HuffyCaprice1969 after I edited mine. Sorry if it looks like I'm repeating info in my post above. Thanks for the info. It's pretty cool how they brought that old design back into production. Why not, right? They needed to hit a price point, obviously they still had the tooling etc........I wonder if those decks are as loud as the early 90's ones.
No problem, BBY. The decks are still loud on those "Classics" like the early
90's tractors were. I mowed a couple times with one (the people I knew in town who own one), and it sounded exactly like the '92 12/38 that I sold way back in 2002. From what I was told by the local mower store that I do business with, Walmart was as much to blame as Murray (poor management) for the demise of the company. He said that Walmart either made them cut the prices of their mowers, or refused to let them raise prices. Therefore, their profit margins disappeared, and they constantly had to look for ways to make the mowers cheaper. He said, "Walmart sucked them dry and tossed them aside after they were done." This is true if I sit here and think about it. A 12/38 sold for about $859 back in 1990 or so at Wally World. In the early 2000's, you could buy a brand new 12.5/40 like the one I have right now for $799.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I fiddled with this Murray today. I didn't rebuild the carb, but did some adjusting. It ran better, but it is on its last legs for sure. I was hoping that adjusting the carb and adjusting the valve lash would solve a lot of its issues.
Changed oil, and replaced air filter.

Took it out for a spin in the yard. Every large tuft of grass it come up on it would knock the rpm down, and would go down in rpm going up hill while blades engaged. It has a lot of blow by going on and has a slight knock when it is laboring up the hill, so it is due a rebuild or a good replacement. I could sell it as is, but I wouldn't get much money for it. This will be a later sale, it looks like.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
My great grandpa bought my 1997 Wide body LT 15.5 HP 42" cut for $999 at centeral tractor. He died a few years ago and my grandpa got it, then he wanted some thing a little newer, And now it is mine and I take great care of it, If some body offered me 1 million for it I wouldnt even sell it!! (Not that that some one would spend that much on it)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts