My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed a leak underneath my 60” mower deck from my 445 while stored over the winter. The deck is strapped to the wall standing up with the gear box on the bottom. I stored the deck in the same fashion the year before with no issues. I still need to sharpen the blades so I haven’t moved the deck yet but I’m hoping I don’t have an issue? Is this to be expected do to the gear box being stored in this position all winter or do I have an issue?

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
949 Posts
My 60 deck stored like yours did the same thing. I considered that this was a feature that self-leveled (out through the breather) to get the over filled lubricant in the gearbox down to the correct height. After a while it bugged me enough that I replaced the gear lube with JD corn head grease and all is right with the world now. Well maybe not "all" is right with the world...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's good information. I was wondering if there was a vent/breather of sorts causing it to leak out. Also wondered if it was overfull so I figured a good excuse to drain & fill for the season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts