My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
A Little Green.
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the battery (brand new) today with the tractor (8n) running and the volt meter reads 6.23 with the tractor at idle or almost full throttle. On the back of the generator there is a screw to adjust how much charge the generator puts out (I assume). Can I or should I turn this and increase how much it is charging? I thought I read somewhere that a 6 volt system should be charging at around 6.9 volts. I appreciate all and any thoughts. Thanks.

Red

DSC04148.jpg

DSC04149.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
7.2 is the magic number.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The screw is current adjustment.Dad always set it high when "choring" ie; start and stop with short term running,or cold weather and turned it down if cultivating all day to keep from boiling the battery.Check your ammeter!!

·
A Little Green.
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The screw is current adjustment.Dad always set it high when "choring" ie; start and stop with short term running,or cold weather and turned it down if cultivating all day to keep from boiling the battery.Check your ammeter!!
OK. When I get back to the tractor in a couple weeks (it is 83 miles from home) I will increase the current with the adjustment screw and see if my numbers go up. If the numbers don't change, does that mean my generator is no good? I don't recall the ammeter going up or moving at all. If anyone else has more to add, please do. Thanks.

Just to add. When I went to bring the tractor up to the lot last weekend, I ran the battery down trying to start her. I ran the tractor for a good hour then parked her for a week. Sunday I went back up and she turned over and started fine. So I think she is charging. I just want to be sure and I'm trying to understand what the numbers mean. It's a long ways to go and not have her start/run like she should. Thanks

Red

·
Registered
680 Posts
If my memory aint defective? I seem to remember that there wasn't a lot of amperage output on those old generators to start with. I thought they only put out @ 15amps wide open and turned down they would put out a few amps @3 IIRC. Not a big change overall and if a universal ammeter was installed (60-0-60) it was real hard to see any difference when adjusting the screw.

·
A Little Green.
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I turned the adjustment screw all the way to high (only about half a turn) and I am getting 6.36 on the volt meter. The battery has plenty of juice even after sitting for weeks so I guess I am charging enough although not the 7.2 that people say it should. I guess that as long as she starts I am happy. Anything else I can check?

Red

·
Registered
585 Posts
I turned the adjustment screw all the way to high (only about half a turn) and I am getting 6.36 on the volt meter. The battery has plenty of juice even after sitting for weeks so I guess I am charging enough although not the 7.2 that people say it should. I guess that as long as she starts I am happy. Anything else I can check?

Red
well if thats your gen above you might clean the terminals on them i wouldn't think that red paint over the wire contacts would be good

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts

·
A Little Green.
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well if thats your gen above you might clean the terminals on them i wouldn't think that red paint over the wire contacts would be good
I'll clean off the paint the next trip up to use the tractor. My thought was that there sealed from the elements. Who knows how long the paint has been there.

Red

·
A Little Green.
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if connections were put together clean and then painted over, paint doesn't matter
Kind of what I was thinking but not knowing the condition I will take them apart and clean them. It can't hurt and will help me narrow down if I have a generator problem or not. Saturday I am going up and will check her out.

Red

·
A Little Green.
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to update, I cleaned the connections on the generator and had no change on the volt meter. She starts fine with plenty of battery juice so I will leave well enough alone.

Red

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I agree no need to fix it if it ain't broke

·
Registered
48 Posts
something I just thought about, we have a MF135 that still has a generator on it that we use at the deer lease along with our 8n, it will get full of dust and we have to take the air compressor and blow it out real good and then oil it through the oil ports that on the front and rear of the generator. I don't know if the gen on your 8n has an oil port but it would be worth checking and putting a sqirt into it if it does, also your brushes may be worn or sticking not letting it charge like it should.
good luck
just went back and looked at the original pic it does have a oil port on the rear

·
A Little Green.
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've oiled the port in the rear. I don't recall seeing one on the front but I will look again on the next trip up there. Is there a way for me to check or replace the brushes? Thanks.

Red

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've oiled the port in the rear. I don't recall seeing one on the front but I will look again on the next trip up there. Is there a way for me to check or replace the brushes? Thanks.

Red
id say youd have to pull it apart to check them

·
Registered
48 Posts
you can usually lokk through the end of the gen and see the top of the brushes and tell if the copper lead is up againist the brush holder, but i don't know about the one you shoed in your pic, because the back end is sealed look on the front and see. like i said this is an area on our mf 135 where we have encountered problems and got it to working by use compressed air to blow the dust & debris out of the gen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts