My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a craftman comp. it ran good up until a week ago now it dose want to thottle up it will run on choke but will die if you take off choke anybody work on this model

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like it just needs a good carb cleanout and adjustment. Mainly all you really need to do is replace the gasket, and while you have the cover off, spray lots of carb cleaner in there. Then put it back on with the new gasket, and simply adjust the screws for your high and low carb adjustments until it runs at a (what sounds like) high rpm. Heres a video on youtube thats really great help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD1pYROhKbs

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Those 5hp B&S have a diaphragm/fuel pump under the plate on the left side,held on by 4 little screws.Take that plate off,be careful when you take the old diaphragm out,there is a spring and cup in a recess behind it that will fall out.If it's been running,that's probably all that's wrong,I have seen the screens on the bottom of the pickup tube that is down in the tank get clogged but that's pretty rare.A new diaphragm cost about a dollar,if your figuring on taking the carb off to have a look at the screen,you'll need a gasket for under the carb,they're probably another dollar.:goodl:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
:ditto: on the diaphram. Have replaced many of them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for the help i will give it a carb cleaning and repleace the diaphram at the same time i was thinking it might have something to do with the way the governor works on this thing i was thinking maybe one of these valve are telling it not to throttle up i know the pop off valve works ok thanks tommy

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
thanks guys for the help i will give it a carb cleaning and repleace the diaphram at the same time i was thinking it might have something to do with the way the governor works on this thing i was thinking maybe one of these valve are telling it not to throttle up i know the pop off valve works ok thanks tommy
There is a possibility,on an air compressor that it is something like that but if it only wants to run with the choke on,it sounds engine related.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts