My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

GOOD NEWS - GOOD NEWS - GOOD NEWS !!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been driving this truck since 1995 and never had any problem but last fall someone ran into the right front corner of my truck.
It happened out in front of Wallmart.
The damage was set at $2500 with the purchase of new parts and a body shop doing the work.

I only carry PL & PD insurance on it so I have to pay for the damage myself.
It needs a fender, grille support, bumper splash apron and grille.

All winter I have been hunting for parts on ebay.
I picked up a "New" grille for $68 less than catalog price.

A used grille support from California for $161 less than new.
It also has the bumper splash apron on it so that saves me another $90 plus $30 shipping.

Last night I finally was able to get the fender ( also from California ) for $415 less than new.
I know it looks really "scummy" and it has some small dents, but there isn't and rust holes in it.

The fender is being shipped by Greyhound Bus and could take up to 20 days to get here.
Then I'm going to get my truck fixed back up.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
A good body man can straighten out your old parts. Then you can put them on E-bay and get your money back. That is the beauty of old iron they are made heavy and give you something to work with.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,186 Posts
Good luck getting it back to original!!! Nice to see those old beast around.
My dad had a '59 3/4 ton Apache long bed. What a great truck that was.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
That's a good looking truck. I am glad you are repairing it.

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
When whoever ran into your truck...if they would have dont that to my truck I probily would have unloaded on them, who did you react?

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A good body man can straighten out your old parts. Then you can put them on E-bay and get your money back. That is the beauty of old iron they are made heavy and give you something to work with.
That is true but the labor cost of repairing it is more than the cost of a new fender.

When whoever ran into your truck...if they would have dont that to my truck I probily would have unloaded on them, who did you react?
I was still in the truck when it got hit and we both filled out the police report.
I've always known that if I insist on driving things like this that someday something is going to happen to it.
Even so, I was so upset that I couldn't say a thing to her.

In most other states, her insurance would have paid for my damage because she caused the accident.

However, Michigan is a "No-Fault" state.
That means that my insurance pays for my vehicle damage and her insurance pays for her vehicle damage.
As I only carry PL & PD, my vehicle damage is not covered.

The state has a law that my insurance company had to pay me $500 because she ran into me.

·
Gearhead
878 Posts
I still say if Michigan is "no fault" then you shouldn't even have to carry liability. What a racket...

That breaks my heart to see your truck like that. I'm glad you've got the parts rounded up to fix her.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Let me get this straight... in Michigan I run into your car and you have to pay to fix it?

That's dumb... I'd move. What if you had a plow on your truck and totaled a small car you don't have to pay for anything?

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let me get this straight... in Michigan I run into your car and you have to pay to fix it?

That's dumb... I'd move. What if you had a plow on your truck and totaled a small car you don't have to pay for anything?

"Dumb" is right but that is how I understand it works here in Michigan.
If you crash into a store and hurt someone than your insurance covers the building and the person under the PL & PD insurance.
If you have full coverage, then it will fix your car also.

If you hit another car and hurt someone than your insurance will pay for the damage to the person but not the damage to their car.
Their insurance pays for their car.
Your insurance pays for your car.

However, the police would not come to the accident because it was in a parking lot which is considered privet property.
We both had to go down to the police station and fill out the police report.

This "no-fault" is for any accident on the road or on privet property.
If the accident is bad enough, then the injured party ( or both partys ) go to court and sue the beegees out of the other party.

That is how I understand the Michigan no-fault insurance works.
I don't have any idea how it works with a out of state vehicle involved.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Beautiful truck! Good luck with the repairs. Cant wait to see the finished project.

·
forkz
5,931 Posts
here if u hit someone on private property the sherriff gets 1nvoled next thung u know your insurance rates go up

·
forkz
5,931 Posts
like them ole trucks yours is nice what ya got under the hood

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
like them ole trucks yours is nice what ya got under the hood
The body is sitting on a 1985 frame with a 6.2 diesel engine and TH400 automatic transmission.

·
forkz
5,931 Posts
thats cool jd i like it i bet alot of folks r surprised when they c that i.m glad u r going to fix her the ole truck deserves to live good luck with her

·
Registered
866 Posts
The body is sitting on a 1985 frame with a 6.2 diesel engine and TH400 automatic transmission.

:not_worth That just makes the truck that much more awesome!

Absolutely gorgeous truck! :trink39:

·
15,000 +posts!
20,440 Posts
I agree,its a beautiful truck--and to find it's got a DIESEL in it!..that makes it that much cooler!...my '82 K2500 has the 6.2/TH400 too!

I'd have been SICK :thSick: if I had that truck and some stupid (CENSORED) hit it!..that is one reason I dont want anything "nice" anymore--some moron will plow into it and wreck it for you..either that or it'll get stolen..I got tired of fearing that every time I drove my nice trucks or muscle cars ,or parked them anywhere..
I had a '72 Chevelle "Nomad" wagon I sold about 10 years ago,owned it for 8 years,that was on a '69 Suburban chassis,and I couldn't park it anywhere without a bunch of gawkers crawling all over and under it!..I didn't mind that at car shows and truck pulls,but not at the resturaunt or movies,ya know?..
I never got to eat my food while it was hot,I had to answer a million questions..three times it was almost stolen,too..

I had a '56 Chevy 3200 series truck long ago,that I wish I still had today--
I would have done what you did,put it on a later 4x4 frame..A friend of mine has a '59 GMC like yours that he got in AZ many years ago,for 3500 bucks,drove it back here to MA too!..has a 235 six,and factory A/C!..

I know of another one in my town very similar to yours,its that aqua blue color,and has a 337 Pontiac V8 in it with a "Hydra-Matic",a rare factory option..we had a 1957 GMC 3/4 ton at the junkyard that had a 322 Buick Nailhead factory in it too,but it was just a hulk..

Like to see yours when its all fixed!..sorry it had to get hit in the first place..sucks you cant have anything nice nowadays..not here anyway..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts