My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a 5660 that I want to rehome, but I'd like to take another crack at a forward drive issue before I do. The tractor abruptly stops while driving forward. I haven't been able to figure out a pattern or any warning signs before it stops. It doesn't seem to matter what gear or range it is in, or if the PTO is engaged. I was able to make it work better for a little while by tightening the linkage for the forward/reverse lever. The last time I moved it though, I could only get it to stay in motion consistently by backing it up. The motor runs like a champ, so I doubt that it is involved. Is this a common problem? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
So when it runs in forward, it works correctly, then simply stops? Or does it sort of slow and bog, even while the engine is running and the forward lever is still locked in? When it stops moving on its own, and the lever is still in forward, can you pull it backwards?

If it's on/off, it either works fine or doesn't work at all, I'm suspecting that the swifto is mis-adjusted. There's a spot between hi-axle and lo-axle which is essentially neutral. If you're right on the edge of it, it doesn't take much for it to disengage.

If it slows down, ie it's still trying to move but just doesn't seem to have the oomph, I'd say you need to adjust the linkage to that forward clutch some more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it drives forward and then stops hard. It doesn't keep rolling. I walked into the back of it a few times when I wasn't ready for it. I hadn't thought about it possibly getting stuck between gears or ranges. I have not tried to pull the tractor backwards when it stops, but I'll see if it will let me do that tomorrow. Even with this issue, it's far too nice of a machine to wind up in a junkyard. I want to get it working properly so the next owner won't give up on it. Failing that, I hope to find a Gravely enthusiast who has the experience to fix it and add it to their collection.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Right, don't scrap it. These are very simple and robust machines. Just about anything that goes wrong with them is fixable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welp, now I can't keep the engine running either. I think I'm in over my head with this beast. It's clearly had a much less charmed life than my other 5000. Time to look for an enthusiast in the area who wants it as a project. Thank you for the advice! I look forward to breaking out the other unit soon to turn more of the green outdoor carpet into garden space.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts