My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JD 5525 that has about 2700 hours on it. I am trying to change the hydraulic filter and I can not get the cover off. I took the bolt off that holds the cover on but I can not get the cover to budge. Is the cover supposed to screw off or does it come straight off? I tried lightly tapping it with a hammer. It is hex shaped on the end of the cover so I tried turning it with a pair of pliers and it will not budge. I am afraid I am going to break something. We have a service manual but it does not say anything about turning the filter or how it is supposed to come off. Why does everything have to be so difficult?

Do I need to drain the oil to change the filter? Reason I ask is because oil has not stopped coming out of the bolt hole since I took the bolt out.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The cover does turn to come off. Put a large(I think 1 5/8") wrench or socket on it and turn 1/4 turn to get cover off. No you don't need to drain oil. At most, you will lose 1/2 gallon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How hard should it be? I tried to turn it with a pair of pliers and I was pulling the whole thing down.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to get the filter out. I had to use a 3/4 drive socket. That little screw in the middle of the cover, does that have to be taken out to take the cover off?

That little screen below the pto, the book says to drain the oil to check it. Do I absolutely have to drain it?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
They seem to get pretty tight. Try pushing in on the cap while you turn it. Or maybe tap on the cap with a rubber hammer while twisting. Once it beaks loose, it will turn free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts