My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There, I just scored a set of 55# weights, but no hardware. Not bad for 30 bucks locally I guess. Does anyone know the dimensions of the bolts to attach these to my wheels? I'm only putting 1 weight on each side.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The ones I got with my weights, which feel like 50 something pounds, are 7/16 shank, 5" long and carrage style with the square to fit in the rim.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
1/2 carraige bolt 5 and 1/2 or 6 in long

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I'm off to home depot after work tomorrow. Now if I could just find a used snowblower and cab!

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
for what kind of tractor?

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
This is a dixon d26kh54... same frame as a 09 gt5000 and other as i understand
if they are the plastic weights, they need even longer bolts- maybe 7.5" ?? Not sure...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks GT_80! Yup, these are the plastic beauties.

I see that lowes has carriage bolts with all thread, instead of just the ends. I guess I'll get the 1/2" - 13 x 8" items from them with all thread, so that I can cut if needed. I also saw in the archives, that I could also put a 2nd nut on the other side of the wheel, so that it makes putting them on easier.

Given the effort, I think I'll leave them on year round.

PS, for anyone else going through this process, I found that tirechains.com seems to have a very wide selection (sizes) of 2 link chains under the garden tractor section at pretty good (relatively!) prices.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Thanks GT_80! Yup, these are the plastic beauties.

I see that lowes has carriage bolts with all thread, instead of just the ends. I guess I'll get the 1/2" - 13 x 8" items from them with all thread, so that I can cut if needed. I also saw in the archives, that I could also put a 2nd nut on the other side of the wheel, so that it makes putting them on easier.

Given the effort, I think I'll leave them on year round.

PS, for anyone else going through this process, I found that tirechains.com seems to have a very wide selection (sizes) of 2 link chains under the garden tractor section at pretty good (relatively!) prices.
Tractor supply has chains for between 40 and 80 bucks too in common sizes. The weights are pretty easy to take on and off, but i leave min eon year round cause even mowing on a little hill when turning i spin the tires sometimes. They are worth their weight in gold when you NEED them! 8" allthread style carriage bolts will work perfectly- use nuts and lock washers but don't overtighten the nuts.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
wheels1.jpg

This is how the 30lb weights look on the back of my GT18 with chains.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
James,

Thanks for the the advice and photos! I'll post some pics as soon as I get the right washers and get them mounted up.

PS, 110lb in gold would be ~$2M right now! That sure would buy a lot of landscapin'!

Sam

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I cut off the bolts on my wheel weights,or put acorn nuts,or rubber hose on the ends ,so I wont gash my ankles open ,again,like I did the first time I tried squeezing by the tractor in my garage!..:mad:..

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
I cut off the bolts on my wheel weights,or put acorn nuts,or rubber hose on the ends ,so I wont gash my ankles open ,again,like I did the first time I tried squeezing by the tractor in my garage!..:mad:..
:ditto: many times....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 8" bolts were just about perfect. No danger of 'racing stripes' on my ankles/shins!

Some crappy cell phone pictures...

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Nice dixon! How you liking it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:fing32:Thanks GT_80... So far so good! It feels pretty solid, which is good, because granite boulders grow all over my yard and make for one **** of a bumpy ride. Been breaking 'em with a 16# sledge hammer to flatten things out, but I seem to get new ones and some of em just tear up my sledge.

The engine is pretty smooth, just did my 1st oil change last week. Pretty straightforward, but the oil filter was a pita to get off. I had to use a vise, as the filter wrench was distoring the filter, bending at the handle and about to fail!

The big issue I have so far is explaining that it's 'just like a gt5000' when getting add ons.

The 24x12x12s on the back make for a steady ride up the steep hill.

One other gripe is the deck chute... got a mulch plug and some gators, but the **** plug won't stay on. I think I'm going to drill some holes in the deck and put them on with some wingnuts and bolts. Maybe some bolts welded on and holes in the plug so I don't have to make holes in the deck??? Something, cause when I drive with the chute facing a wall/tree, I get covered in bits of grass and it gets in my beer. :trink39:

I haven't done much other than mow so far, but looking forward to getting a blower and maybe a tow behind leaf vac.

One other thing, I did notice some rust on the steering shaft, which was kind of disappointing, given that it's only a few months old. Guess I should hit that with some naval jelly or something.

It fires up every time with the choke pulled and warms up fast. The hydro hasn't complained when pushing up a hill, but I don't think I've done anything to push it real hard yet, or can't hear any noises over the mower blades.

I did ram into a patio wall, that tore up one of the guage wheels & bent the tab on the deck. Haven't been able to bend it back yet, but haven't tried the sledge yet. I'll need to take care of that (maybe double nut it until I can get some heat on it and get it back in place) as the angle keeps loosening off the nut on the shoulder bolt when mowing and causing the guage wheel to fall off and the deck to dig in on hilly spots. Those guage wheels really are important.

Other than the thing I broke myself, I'm happy so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts