My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the tractor this week and just wondered what/when you do all the oil changes and what else needs kept up with and how often? Is anything hard to do yourself,do I need any special tools? I'm gonna sound like an idiot but what the heck are spindles and how do you grease them! Thanx for all the help!

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
when the mower is delivered grab teh book and READ IT. it explains all you need to know. your dealer should also point out the grease points to you.

you need to read the manual to knwo the proper air pressures and how to level the deck, cause more than likely both will have to be done before you mow.

·
Registered
948 Posts
You can do the maintenance yourself. For the most part, it's fairly easy, and basic tools are all you need (metric and SAE). At 8 hours comes the first engine oil and filter change. Do yourself a favor and pick up the oil and filter from your Deere dealer before the 8 hours shows up on the meter.

At 50 hours comes the first hydro oil and filter changes. This is a bit more expensive, but still quite easy to do. Again, pick up the hydro oil and filter before the 50 hours comes up on the meter.

Otherwise, just as davidg suggested, read the manual. It explains the schedule, the types of fluids, shows the lube points.

Ah spindles. Those are the shafts that are mounted vertically in the mower deck; there are three of them. Above the deck, the pulleys (or sheaves) mount to the spindles and atop eash spindle is a grease fitting. Your manual will indicate the frequency of greasing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts