My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 6 or 7 year old craftsmen gs6500 that i have worked hard but is getting ready to die. I am looking at deere(always jealous but could afford them til now). my wife and i looked at our dealership today and they had a 728 that was uncomfortable for my wife to ride, and a 540 and a 534. I have about 1.7 acres some hills and some rough areas that we are cleaning up. lots of gardens and will tow, mow, plow or blow. any one have thoughts between the two 5 series, and will these be a big differance from what i have now? also does any one have views on the powerflow bagger vs cyclone rake? Lastly should purchase price have a bit of a discount from msrp? thank you
Dave

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
Well out of the X534 & the X540 I would go with the X540 Not Because of the LC engine Just because You say Lots Of Gardens. While You can Put a tiller On the X534 By Buying wheel spacers. The X540 will be less of a Headache If You decide You want a tiller. But If you Just Plan On using the occasional sleeve Hitch Implement either will be fine:thThumbsU

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
I'd go with the X540 over the X534 unless you need the steering. Just curious as to what made a X728 uncomfortable?????

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'd go with the X540 over the X534 unless you need the steering. Just curious as to what made a X728 uncomfortable?????
Ditto on that. Why did your wife feel uncomfortable on the X728?:hide:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys will probably laugh but with the seven her legs were spread a little to much for comfort. The 534 was much better, a couple of years ago she tore her labrum in her hip and she ends up mowing half the time. Thanks for the help so far. Will the 540 be a big step up from the craftsmen?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok we went back and I convinced her to try the 728 again, and looks like we are in good shape. Got the tractor the power flow and the 54 inch deck for 700 off plus the 1000 off from Deere, they have a se kit for 800 that I think I will add on, and maybe plow. Thanks for info, now to sell craftsmen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts