My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a frequent poster, but read the site a few times a week looking for new knowledge. Hopefully this quick review serves as a downpayment on what I have learned here :)

A few months back I posted a thread about my new 54" Snowblower. I had used the 54" plow last year and loved it! Some folks had asked that I post my thoughts (opinions) on the plow -vs- the blower. And I promised I would.

Of course we have not had any snow since I bought it until Tuesday, so I can finally give my first impressions.

Not much snow and it was very wet and heavy, about 4", the blower handled it no problem.

However, for this type of snow... I would have rather had the blade mounted. Since I was not worried about where to put the accumulation, it would have been just as quick to push it off the driveway. Also, I found it hard to get the blower skids adjusted so the blower was scraping clean like the plow does. There was a thin layer of wet slow on the driveway when I was done. It was melting so I didn't care, but if it were freezing... I would have put the blade on and cleaned it up better.

Another thing I noticed was, with the weight of the blower the tractor slid a bit when making turns. Not a big deal, but I was not expecting it as the tractor is usually quite nimble. I almost hit my truck in the driveway, I slowed down on the next pass :)

As with all things it seems, there is never all pluses or all minus when comparing them. I think it depends on the conditions. Had it been 10" of fresh snow, and more accumulations to come... I would be all over the blower. But if it is like Tuesday, less than 6" or so... and not a big concern of long term accumulation and where to put it... I would be more than happy just using the plow.

In short, I could live without the blower knowing what I know now... but I would never let the plow go.

Just my opinion.

·
dysFUNctional
286 Posts
for us newer viewers and not sure what each piece is/does (without further research) could you include some additional info such as whether the thrower is a single or dual stage, has any mods (auger/impeller) and the driveway surface is it concrete, asphalt or gravel/dirt, please?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Opps, forgot one more thing I was thinking about while using the blower.

When plowing I run the engine at about 80%- Maybe full throttle. But it never even blinks, no change in RPM... just purrs.

With the blower, it was grunting a little (not slowing down) but for the first time ever, I heard it actually have to work a little. Like I said, the snow was wet and heavy. Just made me think about extra wear and tear on the drivetrain -vs- the frame stress of the plow.

Not sure if either matters... just another thing that came to mind.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Not a frequent poster, but read the site a few times a week looking for new knowledge. Hopefully this quick review serves as a downpayment on what I have learned here :)

A few months back I posted a thread about my new 54" Snowblower. I had used the 54" plow last year and loved it! Some folks had asked that I post my thoughts (opinions) on the plow -vs- the blower. And I promised I would.

Of course we have not had any snow since I bought it until Tuesday, so I can finally give my first impressions.

Not much snow and it was very wet and heavy, about 4", the blower handled it no problem.

However, for this type of snow... I would have rather had the blade mounted. Since I was not worried about where to put the accumulation, it would have been just as quick to push it off the driveway. Also, I found it hard to get the blower skids adjusted so the blower was scraping clean like the plow does. There was a thin layer of wet slow on the driveway when I was done. It was melting so I didn't care, but if it were freezing... I would have put the blade on and cleaned it up better.

Another thing I noticed was, with the weight of the blower the tractor slid a bit when making turns. Not a big deal, but I was not expecting it as the tractor is usually quite nimble. I almost hit my truck in the driveway, I slowed down on the next pass :)

As with all things it seems, there is never all pluses or all minus when comparing them. I think it depends on the conditions. Had it been 10" of fresh snow, and more accumulations to come... I would be all over the blower. But if it is like Tuesday, less than 6" or so... and not a big concern of long term accumulation and where to put it... I would be more than happy just using the plow.

In short, I could live without the blower knowing what I know now... but I would never let the plow go.

Just my opinion.

Where in CT are you?

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
Thanks for update. I agree with what you said but for me the plusses of the blower are that you dont have to work about where you put it, when it comes to deep snow the blower works better in my opinion and it just looks neater when done:

That said with a blade you dont have to eat as much snow as with a blower. I have a 2305 with a 54" two stage and honestly I think my 345 with a single stage was as good of snow removal machine. Was easier to get around for sure !

I am running my shoes all the way up as I want it to ride on the scraper. You said yours doesnt turn as well. Assuming you are in the float position.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for update. I agree with what you said but for me the plusses of the blower are that you dont have to work about where you put it, when it comes to deep snow the blower works better in my opinion and it just looks neater when done:

That said with a blade you dont have to eat as much snow as with a blower. I have a 2305 with a 54" two stage and honestly I think my 345 with a single stage was as good of snow removal machine. Was easier to get around for sure !

I am running my shoes all the way up as I want it to ride on the scraper. You said yours doesnt turn as well. Assuming you are in the float position.
Yes, I was using float. I think I just need to adjust the skids again... Perhaps I was worried to much about the sides of the blower box scraping.

The turning is just the weight of the blower I think. Not that it wouldn't turn, it just wasn't what I am used to with 4 wheel steering. I shouldn't cut things so close anyway... :)

I agree 100% with the point of deeper snow, and where to put it. Hopefully I will get to "test" it more this weekend... we have some more in the forecast! :)

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Great info! I sure love the 54 blade and the fact I am not covered head to toe in snow like I was with my old walk behind. But the first time I have to move a foot or more I'm sure I'll miss the blower.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I also have both. I would have to keep the blower, I dont have room for pushing a big storm and 18 are not unusual for me. This past storm a wet 3, I used the blade first and the blower to move the piles. I got the 47 blower with the idea it would never be a strain for the X748 or too heavy. I like the blade for clean up after blowing and the common 2-3. great review slipknot

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,538 Posts
Thanks for all the comments and comparisons. I still push snow with my 54" blade, so I can't offer a comparison. In the past 26 years living on this hill, I've had two snow storms I could not clear with the plow. I believe I could have cleared myself out those two times with a blower. I am also sure I could have saved time with a blower on at least one other storm every year (though not yet this year). But based on my funding availability as well as the other things I do with the blade (pushing brush, scraping/leveling dirt, pushing firewood logs), the blade was my first attachment. Based on watching videos and looking at pictures here, I'd probably want(need) a W/E to go along with the blower. So, a blower remains on my futures list.

All that said, I could find indoor storage for any blower any MTF member needs to place into long term storage. In fact, I'd be happy to rotate all moving parts to keep bearings lubed on a regular basis. Just let me know.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have a Polaris Sportsman atv 4x4 plow used only for 4 inches or less or heavy wet slush. It faster to use atv 15 mph. Heavier snow or in or around objects tractor blower set up works better for me. Also I can wait till the end of storm to clean up. Another note would be a cab on blower is warm dry and more fun! IMOI.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a blower only on my X300 and ordered a blower only with my X748. In my situation, it's really the only sensible choice as in most parts of my driveway, I don't have anywhere to pile the snow with a blade. saying that, I would love to have a blade for quick cleanups of 1-2 inch snowfalls. maybe further in the future.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I like to have different tractors so i don't have to change things around. The best tractor that i have ever had for plowing is my WH D-160 with a 56" blade, My back up plow tractor is a sears GT18 with 46" blade, i leave the blower on the Sears twin 18. And i leave the rear blade on the 1968 SS12. I put the # 40 chain around the front tires of the Wh D 160 so i can angle plow and turn good on ice and that works great. You can not believe how great that works till you try it. I like plowing most of the time. Paul

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
About plowing and where to put the accumulation...

I wish I had taken some pics of what i did, but I didn't. I am sure I am not the only one that did this.

As you can see in the pic with the plow, the pile is pretty high, and I could not push it further. However, I realized if I lifted the blade and pushed it would stake the top off pretty easily. Then when the front tires hit the part the plow missed the tractor lifted. Then I dropped the plow down again and drove up the pile. By doing this I was able to create a ramp of snow that i could drive up and just keep pushing new accumulations over the top.

By the end of last year I was driving up the pile about 1.5 time the length of the tractor. It kept getting packed harder as the season progressed, I never fell through or was stuck.

Then again, that is why I bought the blower... with that much snow I have to assume it would have been much easier :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
If only I could predict what the weather will produce in the amount of snow and the deph of the drifts. 8-10" of snow or more is a bit much for a blade as far as I am concerned. I also like the blower for getting the snow away from the drive as the piled snow makes a perfect place for drifts when the wind blows after you make the piles. I once followed a State Truck and discovered why they had trouble with the wind drifting on the road. They were only going about 15 mph and the snow was just piling up making the snow West side of the road deeper allowing the snow to just blow across the pile and dropping on the road. Taught me a lot. The blade works great for a small 1 or 2" snowfall.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts