My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
In the Mud!
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea I got the 54" deck with about a 8" flap where it discharge. :hide: Did that sound right?
Anyway, when mowing sometimes I need to raise the flap up to clear an object. Was wondering if any of you have rigged up a cable to raise the flap?
As reaching over the side most of the time triggers the safety shutoff switch on the seat. I have an aftermarket throttle cable and looking for some mounting input. Or if you have an alternative way of raising your flap?
Thanks for all replies.

:)

·
In the Mud!
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have an answer for you, but I do support you using a cable instead of your fingers.

I wanted to comment on your avatar picture. Reminds me a song by a guy named Corb Lund. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDY6bWT5oTM
That was alright!!! :thThumbsU
Al they needed was an old popin john!

And I don't like using my fingers either.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I just drilled a hole in the plastic at the tip and use a rubber strap or bungee cord. It works great. slkpk

·
Registered
656 Posts
I installed the mulching kit on my X500 and totally removed the discharge guard hardware.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
On my 425, I used to have, I drilled a hole and put a piece of plastic baling
twine through the hole and tied it off to the fender handle. Then when I want
it up I just tugged on the twine/string/rope and up she came and then
released it to let go back down. I think they, the chute, need to stay on there,
the first window you break with a pebble or rock you'll wish it were down.
Everyone I see with bungie cords on them never let them back down. If you
don't want hold the twine/rope you can usually hook it over something to hold it
temporarily. I haven't done this with my X720 yet but I will as soon as the
30 return is out.

·
Registered
2016 X750, 2020 X758
262 Posts
I use a 1/4" rope. I tie the end off on the grip bar on the fender of my X485 and run it down to a hole in the plastic chute. Careful snagging that rope. It will cut right though the plastic. If I want to raise the chute some while mowing some lush clover. I just give it a few twists around the grip bar.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bungee cord.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Hi Stuck ,

I have never used the flap , ( is that politically correct ) ???

And I'm doing fine ...

Later,x595

·
In the Mud!
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all! :thanku:

Think the twine or light weight rope will do the trick. Be easy to remove too when I take the deck off, as I do everytime I'm done mowing so I can use other equipment without the deck being in the way.
The rubber mat may come in handy too as the discharge throw is pretty far and I would like it more in a windrow for my 42" sweeper.

Thank again everybody.

·
Master Lawn Cutter
43 Posts
I purchased a JD 345 in March '98. I have had a string on the rubber dischage flap all that time. The string comes up loosly over the steering wheel.

There is even a ready-made hole in place on the dischage flap for that very purpose.

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
Heres something I saw on a new mower- a piece of rubber mat used as a discharge chute.
That is a smart idea. I may install something like that on my deck. I don't use the OEM chute, due to the fact that I have a Trac-Vac. The Trac-Vac deck attatchment uses the same mounting holes that the OEM chute would use.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I think JD has done an excellent job designing the newer deck chutes. Many
others including older JD's just made 4-6" wide windrows around the yard but
mine does and excellent job spreading the clipping across the yard. I see
yards all the time with those clumped up windrows and they look terrible.

·
Registered
73 Posts
2 eye bolts,2 1/4 in holes,1 S hook and one pull starter rope,and you're convertible mowing.

·
JD318
990 Posts
There's a flap?.....:ROF

1 - 19 of 19 Posts