My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick hitch blade I recently picked up for my X728. Someone at some time in the past decided it was a great idea to cut three inches off of the sides of the plow because they wanted to drive over the snow. Anyways, I was looking at JD parts and a new moldboard is $489. But in my attachments book it shows a blade for $505.

So I was wondering if I purchase the one that is a little more, does that come with the attachment frame so I can hook it up to the quick hitch? Mine is ok, but has seen better days.

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
If you have the quick hitch all you need is the blade.
All nessesary mounting parts are in the blade kit .
Just take it out of the box and put it on the quick hitch
and go to work.
Kinda a no brainer for that little cost difference.

Hope this helps
Jim

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
You got me confused???? Which is really easy to do. Are you talking a front 54 snow/dirt blade or a moldboard plow for the rear? There is a big difference. slkpk

·
Green Team !!!
468 Posts
Hi Adam,

I think that the blade mouldboard you are saying is priced at 489.00 would be part # AM109118. I am guessing that the mouldboard shown in your book has a different part number, have you checked this number in JDParts to see if it is infact correct and available ?

By the way, if you could bring your mouldboard with you to Jim's Deere Day this weekend, I could take it and extend both sides for you at a very low cost to you and also extended to any width you would like.......... I could then get it back to you at one of the plow days.

Just a thought !!

Ron

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can throw it in the truck and bring it with me, thanks for the offer. I just remember seeing the blade for 505 and when I checked the price with Keeping it green, I started to wonder.

Thanks for the info everyone, Ron we will see you this Saturday.

Thanks

Adam

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,538 Posts
I have a quick hitch blade I recently picked up for my X728. Someone at some time in the past decided it was a great idea to cut three inches off of the sides of the plow because they wanted to drive over the snow. Anyways, I was looking at JD parts and a new moldboard is $489. But in my attachments book it shows a blade for $505.

So I was wondering if I purchase the one that is a little more, does that come with the attachment frame so I can hook it up to the quick hitch? Mine is ok, but has seen better days.

Thanks

Adam
I don't have any particular advice for you, and it looks like there are several options open to you. But, I've got to ask: What on earth does the bold sentence in the quote even mean. How would narrowing the blade by 3" on each side aid one in driving over the snow?

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
I don't have any particular advice for you, and it looks like there are several options open to you. But, I've got to ask: What on earth does the bold sentence in the quote even mean. How would narrowing the blade by 3" on each side aid one in driving over the snow?
Maybe that means that the previous owner cut 3 inches off of each side so that the back tires would drive in untouched snow rather than a plowed out path. Just a guess though.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,538 Posts
Maybe that means that the previous owner cut 3 inches off of each side so that the back tires would drive in untouched snow rather than a plowed out path. Just a guess though.
Your explanation makes sense? Ok, it clarifies how one could cut of the blade to drive in snow. I guess I missed the irony of the original post. Thanks for helping me see the light.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jere, this blade belonged to a municipality near me, they planned to use the tractor to clear sidewalks. Someone decided to cut the blade to 48" but when you tilt it, it is narrower than the tractor now. The person who did this was fired, for other things, but this was one of them.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Adam
There are 2 54" blades available for this style of blade. 1 is for the 420/430/others and is a little more $ than the one you should need. The one for the quick hitch does not have the trip lock brackets on it. I think you could use the one with the brackets on it but might have to cut 'em off to fit your quick hitch.
D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts