My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Down to the little things that need to be taken care of before I can take it out for a test drive.
I'll be posting them on this thread over the next few days.

Originally, the choke and throttle cables both went behind the engine.
I had made up a conduit tube that ran from the dash box, down under the battery and pointed forward towards the engine.

With the Kohler engine, both the choke and throttle cables need to be longer and both need to run under the engine.
I cut the end off the conduit so it now points down instead of forward.
The ( silver ) throttle cable is run in between the engine and the transmission.
The ( black ) choke cable runs all the way down under the transmission.

The throttle cable comes out under the front of the engine and curves up so it can run straight back to the throttle governor arm.

The choke cable comes out the side and runs straight up to the choke lever on the side of the carb.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This engine has a cast iron elbow bolted on the exhaust that allowed the muffler to run across the back of the engine in the Ford.
Obviously, that isn't going to work here.

The mounting bolts are rusted solid in the block so I heated up the area around each bolt and they both came out.
However .. part of the casting around outside of the top bolt broke out.
The exhaust port is also threaded on the inside so I'm just going to use a pipe style of exhaust instead of the flange style.

Here I'm running a 1-1/4 pipe tap in the hole to clean up the threads.

This is a muffler that I had on my 16HP MTD 990 at one time and it screws right into the exhaust port.
I'm thinking I would like a quieter muffler for running around the tractor shows but this works fine for now.

I got the wiring all re-done, then mounted the gas tank and took it out for a test drive.
She runs really good and has plenty of power now.
I would like it to be able to go just a little faster so I'm going to go back in and change the gear ratio between the back of the transmission and the Ridemaster drive.

Here are a couple of photos of her sitting outside and running.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey Ray , Got a surprise in the mail , it really wasn't necessary though.

Maybe a short how-to on the conduit setup ?? Looks really good and clean.

I hear ya' on the quiet muffler. Very few mufflers for these things are very quiet. About the quietest mufflers i have heard have been on certain models of JD GT's.

Maybe that could be your next project , building a quiet muffler for these GT's ??? I bet you could even sell some , i would be first in line.

Go to this site and on the right side of the under Killer Kohler Part 2 , David redid a muffler. Seen a few other pics where guys did some mods.

http://www.kirkengines.com/

Thanks Again !!!!!

Darrell

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe a short how-to on the conduit setup ?? Looks really good and clean.
Darrell
There are electrical wires running to the dash box with the throttle and choke mounted on the side of the dash box.
The cables and wires were fastened together with plastic wire ties but it didn't look very neat and they still would flop around.
This gives you an idea of how the lines looked before the conduit was made up.

I used 1/2 inch hard copper tube that is used for water lines in buildings.
The two tubes were formed to run from the dash box, thru the steering sprocket and down to under the battery box.
Then they were soldered together and a mounting tab was soldered to each end.
The electrical wires run thru one tube and the cables run thru the other tube.
It keeps everything contained and neat looking.

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
What are you running for tires on the cart? They look a lot like original Suburban turf rear tires.

How sharp does it turn? Looks like the turning radius could be pretty small.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are you running for tires on the cart? They look a lot like original Suburban turf rear tires.

How sharp does it turn? Looks like the turning radius could be pretty small.
Rear tires are off a mid 60's Sears Custom-6 garden tractor.

These Ridemasters are able to turn so that the tractor pivots right around the seat with one rear wheels going forward and the other rear wheel going backward.
Here is a photo of one of my other Ridemasters with the front wheels turned at 90 degrees to the tractor.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
can they turn past 90 degrees almost like a bumper car?

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can they turn past 90 degrees almost like a bumper car?
Yes .. they can turn all the way around until the front of the tires hits one of the foot pegs.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After the the test drive, I took everything back off to get it ready for painting and to change the gearing.
Here's a photo of the drive system with the sprocket removed from the Ridemaster drive.

I picked up a smaller diameter sprocket and center hub from TSC.

If I was better at math, I could just use the gear ratio of the Ridemaster and the diameter of the tires along with the diameter of the transmission sprocket and the engine RPM and figure to just what size sprocket I need for the speed I would like.
But I can't do that so I have to go be the trial and error method.
If this sprocket doesn't work well enough, then I'll put a larger sprocket on the transmission and see how that works.
Meanwhile, I'm hoping this sprocket works because I would have to take the engine back off to change the transmission sprocket.

With the new sprocket welded to the hub, I added it to the parts to be painted and got everything primed.

The engine is also primed.

The front of the Ridemaster is masked up so it can be touched up.

And then it was painted.

The engine and the other parts were also painted today.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
what kind of primer are you using ray?

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rustoleum red oxide primer.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
is that rattle can? and how well does it hold up to heat?

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use the primer in the spray cans because of it's convenience.
It's right there handy at any time for these small parts that I'm working with and I don't have to keep mixing anything up or cleaning the gun out all the time.

The Red oxide spray can primer holds up very well to engine heat even on air cooled engines.
It holds up much better than the gray automotive primer that I use with my spray gun.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
lol I know what you mean my airbrushes are sitting in a box on the shelf along with my guns because the youngest just turned 13 months but I noticed you seem to use it on all of your projects and your paint always turns out nice

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The new muffler just came today.
It's the same diameter and the same design as the muffler I had on it for the test drive but this muffler is three times longer.

I'm thinking that it should be quieter than the other muffler.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The weather got up warn enough today that I was able to heat up the garage and do a little work on the Ridemaster.

I had intended to use one of the original Ridemaster air cleaners on this Kohler engine.
They are different from the normal air cleaner that were used on equipment back then and were designed specifically for the Ridemasters.

Here are a couple of photos of the stock Ridemaster air cleaner.

After thinking about this problem for awhile, I decided that this air cleaner would not work on the Kohler engine.
The stock Ridemaster air cleaner would not be capable of enough air flow to allow the Kohler engine to breath correctly.
So the engine will keep the original air cleaner that it came with.

I finished putting the engine all back together today.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts