My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I need a bigger garage.
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a long time since I've been on here. Just recently got back in the tractor game.

I just picked up a 5216 with the 5 speed.

It seems the rear end is shot. The driven pulley will turn the brake disc but not the tires. Conversely, the tires spin, but A. Wont turn the driven pulley, and B. Wont turn each other when lifted off the ground.

When spinning the wheels it feels as if theres no mechanical connection to the tranny at all. No mechanical noise either.

Is this tranny shot, or is there a chance that theres a shear pin inside that may have sheared?

Also, the shear pins on the axles for the wheels are intact.

·
I need a bigger garage.
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I've done some watching and I've isolated the problem from the driven shaft to the rear axle. I haven't broke it open yet, but I'm gonna find something stripped, broken or misaligned in the final drive. At any rate, I'll be able to replace that or those pieces as opposed to replacing the entire transaxle.

·
I need a bigger garage.
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I assumed, and you know what that does, that since one rear wheel key was intact so must be the other one as well and I didn't check it. When I dropped the tranny last weekend, I found that in fact the key on the wheel I didn't check was actually missing, causing the diff to do its thing and cancel out the other wheel.

Replaced the key and all is well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts