My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have just bought my first Wheel Horse. It is a 1990 520H with a 48" Deck. It had some minor issues, but most have been fixed. Mainly needed a full servicing. Only voltage regulator issues and deck problem remain for major issues. The deck is leaving streaks between the blades. Need to take it off and check for the correct blades.

Major issue: If the wires from the stator/alternator and the tachometer wire were burnt a little and disconnected from the voltage regulator. When I tried to reconnect the stator wire, the terminal broke off. I checked the stator and it appears to be working properly and not shorted out. I ordered a new regulator last night. I have the owners manual and parts manual. Neither have a good diagram or pic showing where the tach wire is attached. Can anyone tell me where the tachometer wire attaches?

I also have a question about the mid mount grader blade. I have an old blade an plan to convert it to a mid mount grader. From the pics I have seen, it appears that the grader blade connects to the same lift arm that raises the deck. I can tell that the rear of the blade attaches near the rear axle, but I don't know where. Does any one know where the rear of the blade attaches?

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello all, I have just bought my first Wheel Horse. It is a 1990 520H with a 48" Deck. It had some minor issues, but most have been fixed. Mainly needed a full servicing. Only voltage regulator issues and deck problem remain for major issues. The deck is leaving streaks between the blades. Need to take it off and check for the correct blades.

Major issue: If the wires from the stator/alternator and the tachometer wire were burnt a little and disconnected from the voltage regulator. When I tried to reconnect the stator wire, the terminal broke off. I checked the stator and it appears to be working properly and not shorted out. I ordered a new regulator last night. I have the owners manual and parts manual. Neither have a good diagram or pic showing where the tach wire is attached. Can anyone tell me where the tachometer wire attaches?

I also have a question about the mid mount grader blade. I have an old blade an plan to convert it to a mid mount grader. From the pics I have seen, it appears that the grader blade connects to the same lift arm that raises the deck. I can tell that the rear of the blade attaches near the rear axle, but I don't know where. Does any one know where the rear of the blade attaches?

Thanks
Tach has 3 wires.
Positive wire is PINK wire on dash instruments
Negetive wire is BLACK wire on dash instruments
Signal is GREY wire to engine connector pin #20 to regulator. Other regulator
wire goes to connector pin #19 which is white wire to start switch relay

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
04fxdwgi,

Thanks. Maybe I should be more specific. I need to know which terminal on the voltage regulator the gray tach wire attaches to. The regulator has three terminals. I think that the stator/alternator wires attach to the outer two terminals and the red wire for the charging circuit is attached to the middle terminal. There is no where for the gray wire to attach unless one of the terminals is doubled up.

dr74go

·
Registered
53 Posts
04fxdwgi,

Thanks. Maybe I should be more specific. I need to know which terminal on the voltage regulator the gray tach wire attaches to. The regulator has three terminals. I think that the stator/alternator wires attach to the outer two terminals and the red wire for the charging circuit is attached to the middle terminal. There is no where for the gray wire to attach unless one of the terminals is doubled up.

dr74go
The location I was speaking of was the engine wiring harness connector. I will need to dig a little deeper for the answers. Will get back to you on it

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you are standing on the right side of the engine and looking across the top of the engine with the regulator terminals facing you , the two stator wires hook up on the outside spades with the DC wire in the middle.
Your Tachometer wire will hook up to the first terminal and like you said it has a double spade terminal that it hooks too. I would think you could hook it to either side of the stator wires as its an AC signal that it picks up on but the book and on my 520 it is on the first terminal to the left, you will know as it will not work on the center terminal as its DC.
The 520's are known to be plagued with wiring issues, but its usually the 9 pin connector or the fuse box that gives trouble. Also there is a two ground wires below the fuse block.
Make sure those are clean and tight. If you have any broken or melted wired it would be better to go ahead and replace them and use a soldering gun on all connection as the little squeeze connectors will work loose over time and will cause shorts and overheating in the harness.
The voltage regulator wires can get really warm at times and if loose they will start to melt the insulation and short in time.
Hope this answered part of your question.

Greg in Ky..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oh and I forgot the most important part.:hide: :hide: :Welcome: :Welcome: to the Forum and we all love pictures :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: , I'm amazed that no one told you that and I apologize again for not saying so in my above post...CRS syndrome..old age...:14_6_5: :14_6_5::14_6_5: :14_6_5: :14_6_5: :14_6_5::beatdeadh :beatdeadh

·
Registered
31 Posts

Thanks

I can't help with the wiring questions, but hopefully I can with the grader blade. The blade does indeed attach to the rear axle via a mount/bracket. You can see a couple of pics of one in the link below. The better pics of the mount/bracket are a little over 1/2-way down the thread.

http://whtractor.15.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=9671

Hope this helps!

Wade

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for your help. I think I have the answers I need. Now I just need to wait for the new regulator to get here to see if everything works correctly.

I worked on it a little more yesterday. The 9-pin connector has had problems at some time. One of the wires has been removed and connected outside the connector. Also had issues with the fuse block. Looks like it had been hot at some point as well. Tried to install a new fuse and it wouldn't go in. After digging around in the connector, I found the remainder of a fuse blade and a ball of metal.

This forum has been very helpful with the tractor. I have read many of the posts, especially about the 520H. Thanks to the forum, I found that I could download manuals and find parts lists for most everything I will need. I have downloaded the manual for a mid mount grader blade and for the mowing deck. I used the deck manual yesterday to adjust the deck. It was leaving streak of grass between the blades and the manual had a section on that issue. I will probably start working on a grader blade in a week or so.

I will try to get some pics posted soon.

Thanks again,

D.L.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Thanks
Depends... which style do you want to build? There are grader blades that pull from the mid-mount attach-a-matic, and there are graders that push from the rear quick hitch. Check out these threads over at RS and see what you like better, or what may suit your needs better.

Grader Blade build
Grader blade project

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
D.L,

Just saw your PM. Sorry for not picking it up sooner but it looks like you got your answer on the tachometer connections. That's good since I'm not near my 520 and won't be for a while. Oh and welcome to MFT. Stick around and enjoy the site. And don't forget those pic's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jason, thanks for the links. It looks like the rear mount will be easier to build. I picked up the blade off of a tractor scraper today. Hopefully I'll be able to work on it this weekend. Will try to get pics of the 520H when I get the voltage regulator. I'm trying not to run it too much without the stator hooked up. I have been looking at the site since the tractor found me a couple of weeks ago. There is a lot of valuable information on here, it just takes a while to find it. Glad there are others who know where the info is already. Thanks again.

Chris, thanks for the response. Yes, I did get the information I needed.

D.L.

·
16,490 Posts
Welcome aboard also to MTF....As Jason posted above-, there are indeed two blades that could be made to work, or use....
I have the 'older style mid-mount", with connects to the mid mount
tach-a-matic, but the newer style tractor --like yours--attached there's at the rear axle 'quik-hitch"--you would also need that attachment to connect to..
Good luck--and post some pictures!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Started working on the blade today. It will be custom built. It is going to be similar to the original mid-mount / rear attach grader. I am using the replaceable blade part of a full size tractor 3-point scraper, cut down to 50". Pivot is complete, rear brackets waiting on bolts. Need to build main part of frame and square the blade to the frame part of the pivot. Should have it done before the long weekend is over, if nothing bad happens.

I have had the help of a master fabricator, my father. I have yet to see anything he could not build. It would take much longer without his help, guidance, and tools. I will try to take and post pics of tractor and grader when I get the grader completed.

D.L.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Here is wiring diagram for the tach.

View attachment 67911
04fxdwgi,

Nice diagram. You wouldn't have a similar one for the 520 voltmeter would you? I have a wiring diagram for my 520 but the whole tractor is on one page and it gets quite confusing to follow. My voltmeter acts up from time to time and I plan on checking/replacing all the wires at some point to see it that fixes it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
04fxdwgi,

Nice diagram. You wouldn't have a similar one for the 520 voltmeter would you? I have a wiring diagram for my 520 but the whole tractor is on one page and it gets quite confusing to follow. My voltmeter acts up from time to time and I plan on checking/replacing all the wires at some point to see it that fixes it.
Here ya go.....

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts