My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to thank all of the good folks on this forum for all the advice and help they offered. Second I would like to thank the people that offer parts to others, I hate to see tractors parted out but without it projects like this would be impossible. I'll make this thread as short as possible.

Here are the parts I gathered, a 5000 series 8 lead swiftamatic:
( the brown is not rust but old oil...)

A 6 lead differential from a 432:

A 5000 swiftamatic axle hub:

I played around with the parts and came up with this combination. I used the worm gear and spider from the 432 with the rest from the 5000 series differential.

The end play was a little out of spec but not to bad, I figured that most tractors out there is out too. I could have lapped the worm gear to take it out. If someone thinks I need to it wouldn't be hard to take it out and do.

Since I didn't have to change the worm I didn't take the advanced case off. Instead, I unseated the race from the swiftamatic hub about an 1/8" and put a gasket on each side and put .035" of shims on the swiftamatic hub. I assembled it all together and then pulled it apart and used a feeler guage to measure behind the race. It measured .033" I removed .025" which left .008" which is in spec. I used a .005" shim on each side and assembled it again.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention to re-seat the race after you measure and before final assembly. :fing20:

·
Registered
66 Posts
A tiny little bit of play isn't going to hurt anything, man. I recently did this to a '70 Commercial 14 that I built out of a 432. The 432 didn't have the 6 lead when I got it, someone swapped it out with an 8 lead...:dunno: Then I ran it as a 6 lead single speed differential and finally had a buddy of mine supply me with a 6 lead Swifty from a 424. All is good now, she crawls in the garden. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
153 Posts
I may have an entire swiftamatic lined up and am looking at converting my 5220 to the swiftamatic. It looks fairly straight forward but I was wondering how difficult is getting all the tolerance correct - any source of information other than the service manual that you would recommend? I never worked on something exactly like this so my only real concern is getting everything "set" correctly and within spec.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would get it as close as I could but without replacing alot of parts. New parts for these machines aren't cheap! If you take the engine off for some reason be sure to check the rear planatary, putting bushings in it is worth while.

What parts have you got lined up?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A tiny little bit of play isn't going to hurt anything, man. I recently did this to a '70 Commercial 14 that I built out of a 432. The 432 didn't have the 6 lead when I got it, someone swapped it out with an 8 lead...:dunno: Then I ran it as a 6 lead single speed differential and finally had a buddy of mine supply me with a 6 lead Swifty from a 424. All is good now, she crawls in the garden. :thThumbsU
Is that a Confederate Navy Gravely in that pic? That is a Confederate Navy flag.....:sidelaugh

·
Registered
153 Posts
Code54,

Here is alot of parts for 20.00 dollars!

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/4144586794.html
THANKS Kyyada - funny you posted that. I am headed to PGH today to visit my parents and found that ad and called (it would easily fit in the truck). Seems he received a lot of calls and has a fellow coming to pick it up this week (he was holding it for him which was nice of the seller)
That looked like the deal I want!! Thank you for letting me know, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
LOL That's my buddy's Gravely, we call it Dixie! :sidelaugh He got that thing from a guy named Ron Brown that did the paint and such, it says Git-R-Done on the side and REDNECK on the back of the hood. Even has a Confederate flag sticker on the oil filter... The attention to detail was pretty cool. That's the only picture I have of it.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Code 54,

You say you may have a Swiftamatic lined up. Is it for a 5000 series tractor, or Pro?

An early Swiftamatic from a commercial or 500 will not work unless you replace both axle housings and axles.

Kyyada used just the bronze worm gear and spider pin assembly from a 400 series to convert a 5000 series 8 lead Swiftamatic to a 6 lead.

Roger,

OK, I just looked at the Craigslist photo, that will work. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Beaner2U
Thanks for the heads up - the one in Pgh was sold (yep - that was a great deal and wish I would have got that one) but the one I am going to get is out of a 5000 series machine. I THINK it will be a fairly direct switch but I have had a little problem finding much info on this on the net.
The machine I have appears to be a 5220 (best guess) and now that the motor is getting fully redone I was thinking of putting the better diff in it and having a really nice working machine. I am doing this for me to use and not plan on selling it so I am not too worried if I spend a little too much to make it a sold and reliable machine. plus to be honest I figure if I do this I will learn a LOT more about the tractor and maybe even be able to helps someone else in the future....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You will have to make sure the gears match in your tractor. If it is a 6 lead now you will have to use a 6 lead swiftamatic and will not change the worm, if you want an 8 lead you will have to change the worm too unless your tractor is an 8 lead now.

Basically the worm and worm gear needs to match whitchever you choose.

With the engine off look at the rear planetary it will probably need some attention. I read Richards rebuilds them cheap if you don't have reamers and such. If it was mine ( I don't want to have mine apart again anytime soon ) I would have the clutches looked at....they aint cheap though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
With the engine off look at the rear planetary it will probably need some attention. I read Richards rebuilds them cheap if you don't have reamers and such.
Thanks for the heads up - what should I be looking for on the planetary? Also what is the best procedure for testing the clutches?
Richards is doing the motor now and have been GREAT to deal with, if I need anything else done I will make the trip to Spencer!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks Roger - that is really handy and helps a bunch

1 - 16 of 16 Posts