My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My proublem is the tractor want hold its ground speed . I adjust the friction washer from time to time an it helps but its a fine line between to tight an to loose . I was wondering thats not suppose to be a special washer is it with some kind of friction material on it ? I know its not going to maintain its speed when the terrain changes say from level to a incline . But it just gradually slows down unless you constantly keep your hand on the lever . An it does something else when it crest a hill an starts down it will pickup quiet a bit of speed before it catches its self an starts to hold back . I usually just pull the lever back an catch it before it takes off, but is this normal ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have same problem with mine same wheelhorse talk to dealers there is no other washer should be a locknut that holds it in place they said to replace locknut. its a little better but still have to adjust from time to time. im looking for the two pullyes on a bracket andspring that fits under pto sends belt back to the tiller know where ican find one.:praying:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about the same pulleys that run the deck ? I,ve got a dealer here thats always been able to get me anything I,ve asked for . Do you have any manuals that show or give any part numbers ? The dealers name is Lane Sales 423 587 0566 ask for Daniel

·
Registered
121 Posts
My proublem is the tractor want hold its ground speed . I adjust the friction washer from time to time an it helps but its a fine line between to tight an to loose . I was wondering thats not suppose to be a special washer is it with some kind of friction material on it ? I know its not going to maintain its speed when the terrain changes say from level to a incline . But it just gradually slows down unless you constantly keep your hand on the lever . An it does something else when it crest a hill an starts down it will pickup quiet a bit of speed before it catches its self an starts to hold back . I usually just pull the lever back an catch it before it takes off, but is this normal ?
It is a friction washer and is part #4 in the below diagram. A lot of times these seem to somehow either ware or are lubricated at some point and this will cause the the hand lever to back down on its own. There also is a specific torque that the lock nut is set to but I don't have that in front of me at this minute.
You can find these parts diagrams as well as the owners manual at Toro.com or at the link I will put at the bottom of the diagram.
Also sometimes when they speed up going down hill it can be from a rear hub that is loose and they can freewheel a little until the hub locks again against the woodruff key. My 520H did this and I ended up having to replace the hub on one side as it must have been that way for awhile.
One last thing is that you should check all of your linkages for proper travel and if there is play in them it is most likely because the nylon bushings are worn or missing. Its strange how one little bushing can create such havoc but it can.
When you look your tractor up it will make it a lot easier if you have your model number and the serial number as well. That way you don't have to go through the entire list to find it.
Best of luck.

Toro website: You do not have to register to use this feature.

https://www.shoptoro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/Toro?cmd=ToroOnlineModelLookup&isManuals=true

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kyforeman for the tips an the link to go too . I really like this tractor an its in great shape an runs good just trying too do a little fine tuneing . I sure had not even thought about that though .
Thanks
George

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks Kyforeman for the tips an the link to go too . I really like this tractor an its in great shape an runs good just trying too do a little fine tuneing . I sure had not even thought about that though .
Thanks
George
Your more than Welcome.:fing32:
Another great site for the Wheel horse is over at Red Square. Its a Wheel Horse Specific site with lots to offer.
http://whtractor.15.forumer.com/index.php?showforum=3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts