My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a water heater in the lower radiator hose on my '52 8N. I keep my 8N in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It doesn't like to start if it's 30 degrees or lower. I've read that this is a fix for this problem.

I decided to put in new antifreze, Prestone 50/50 Long Life and a new lower hose, just for good luck.

I know that the manual says capacity is two gallons. I have read here, several times to only fill the 8N until the antifreeze covers the radiator core. That this practice would prevent the 8N from boiling over.

So that's what I did. I'm just wondering...after covering the core and running my 8N for ten minutes...it only took about 1.5 gallons to cover the core.

Does this sound about right?

In advance, thanks guys, Double Ott :Tractor2:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Adding one of these may also help. Just plug it in a few hours before use. Temps here usually don't excess -10. I seem to remember them not being that expensive. Anyway it couldn't hurt.

Kirk

Attachments

·
A Little Green.
241 Posts
I know that the manual says capacity is two gallons. I have read here, several times to only fill the 8N until the antifreeze covers the radiator core. That this practice would prevent the 8N from boiling over.

So that's what I did. I'm just wondering...after covering the core and running my 8N for ten minutes...it only took about 1.5 gallons to cover the core.

Does this sound about right?

In advance, thanks guys, Double Ott :Tractor2:
That sounds right. I just changed my antifreeze and that is about what I put back in.

Red

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Adding one of these may also help. Just plug it in a few hours before use. Temps here usually don't excess -10. I seem to remember them not being that expensive. Anyway it couldn't hurt.

Kirk
Kirk, The heater I installed is similar to the one you pictured. It's a plug in type heater in the lower radiator hose.

THANK YOU Guys for the replies. I just wanted to check, so it would be right.

This forum and the members here are great. As always, quick replies from knowledgable members...thanks again. :thThumbsU

My regards, Double Ott :trink39:

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
That is about the right amount of coolant, gotta remember you don't ever get ALL the old stuff out of the block that plus whatever buildup of rust and scale is in there as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts