My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MTD 990 Twactor Guy
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, gang -
I got to looking at my 990 a little closer, noticing that I have a special 50th Anniversary Edition medallion in the center of the steering wheel. Going to the MTD corporate page, I note that they started business in 1932, and my tractor was made in 1982 - yup, that's 50 years!

Does anyone have any more info on this? Anyone else have one? Or, is this the only one in existance?? LOL

Thanks,
Rich

·
MTD 990 Twactor Guy
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I took these two quick pics last night of the steering wheel center medallion. Sorry about the flash, but I was in a bit of a hurry. Anyway, I found it interesting that some parts of this tractor, like the dash, ID stickers, decals, this medallion, and other areas, were so nicely preserved, while others were not, like faded paint on the hood and fenders.

If anyone has any more info on the Golden Anniversary model, please let me know.

Thanks!
Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sammy Congrats on the Tractor. So far you are the only person that has one. Companies to make SE on their 50th Av. I doubt the one i have does have one but will check later. Right now calling MTD for the 6th time to talk to them about the one i have. I have checked just about everywhere on this tractor for numbers on it and MTD has me calling tech support and Engineering about it. Although I did get prints on the engine thanks to help online. Made sure Manuel and parts list and engine did match and now looking for a carburator for it and replace some things that needs to be replaced. So far engine doesn;t seem to need rebuilding though. And thanks for help on the tires also and again Congrats of the Tractor. Guess you never stop learning something new about what you have. lol

·
MTD 990 Twactor Guy
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
James66 - Thanks much for the MTD article. I noted the tractor "anniversary" model you were referring to. Did they make a "special" model? Might they, also, have put Golden Anniversary medallions / decals on other or all models in '82? As for my tractor, the Customer Service guy at MTD told me I had a 1982 model. This is based on the model number (142-990A), where 14 designates it as a garden tractor, 2 as the model year (either 1972 or 1982), the 990 as the model size and the A as the decade (1972 was the first decade, 1982 was the second decade). As for the steering wheel, it doesn't appear to have been changed, but I can't verify that.

Blacksmithman - Thanks for posting the 1982 brochure. If you could, would you please PM me a complete scan of that brochure? Sure would appreciate it. It would, also, be great to have an archieve of brochures like that in the forum. How about a new 'sticky'?

Thanks much, :thanku:
Rich

1 - 11 of 11 Posts