My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towards the end of the hay season last year my PTO lever started sticking when I'd try to engage the PTO. I'd jerk the handle and it would go ahead and engage. I figured maybe the cable leading down to the PTO lever on the transmission was worn or needed lubed and thought I would lube it in the off season.
Well it is stuck now totally after sitting this winter.
I disconnected the PTO cable at the PTO lever on the side of the transmission and tried to engage it with a big Cresent wrench but can't get it to engage. I tapped on it with a rubber mallet and cresent wrench but it won't budge or move. Does anyone have any ideas. This tractor only has 680 hrs on it. I changed the transmission/hydrolic oil and filter and cleaned the pick up screen which didn't have much on it at all. It is a mechanical PTO so you don't have to push the clutch in or anything like that you can engage the PTO anytime you want on this JD.
Any thoughts as to what I can do to resolve this?
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll guess that pto control cable needs lubrication or replaced.
As stated in my original post.
I removed the control cable to rule that out and tried to engage the PTO at the transmission lever itself. No luck she's stuck. Is there some type of solenoid that has to engage to allow the PTO to engage?

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Sorry you're having problems Don. I found a thread where there is a service advisory on the 5085e.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
No solenoid involved. Sounds like the pto actuating lever is stuck in the clutch housing. Pray the shaft where it enters clutch housing with penetrating oil and then try to get it moving somehow by tapping with hammer or prying. If you can't get it to move, you may need to split tractor and spray lube on both ends of shaft inside of clutch housing. If you can keep applying penetrating oil occasionally and let it soak in, hopefully you can get it free.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry you're having problems Don. I found a thread where there is a service advisory on the 5085e.
Thanks Randy I seen that but he had a different issue

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No solenoid involved. Sounds like the pto actuating lever is stuck in the clutch housing. Pray the shaft where it enters clutch housing with penetrating oil and then try to get it moving somehow by tapping with hammer or prying. If you can't get it to move, you may need to split tractor and spray lube on both ends of shaft inside of clutch housing. If you can keep applying penetrating oil occasionally and let it soak in, hopefully you can get it free.
Thanks JD110 that it my exact thoughts. I'll start soaking with penetrating oil and hope for the best.
My weather has been uncooperative raining daily. I'll keep you posted on the penetrating oil. Thanks for posting.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,210 Posts
I might suggest checking the clutch housing. There might be an inspection plate or water drainage plug. Remove that and you MIGHT be able to spray the thing with penny oil, but be very careful not to hit the clutch if it’s nearby. Those housings don’t tend to be water tight, at least in my limited experience. Water can get in there from the top or bottom, cause corrosion and possibly the sticking issue you have now.

Hopefully you can see the PTO engagement mechanism from a service panel or plug. It sucks to split the machine for what could be a simple repair.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might suggest checking the clutch housing. There might be an inspection plate or water drainage plug. Remove that and you MIGHT be able to spray the thing with penny oil, but be very careful not to hit the clutch if it’s nearby. Those housings don’t tend to be water tight, at least in my limited experience. Water can get in there from the top or bottom, cause corrosion and possibly the sticking issue you have now.

Hopefully you can see the PTO engagement mechanism from a service panel or plug. It sucks to split the machine for what could be a simple repair.
Yes Sir I did notice a plug directly across the transmission on the opposite side of the PTO engagement lever. It looks to be in line with the PTO lever. Looks like a freeze plug of sorts. Is this what you are talking about?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not exactly. What I was referring to was a plug in the very bottom of the clutch housing. I’ve seen many tractors of several different makes and models that have like a loose pin vertically through it to keep large debris out.
Ok thanks I'll look again but didn't see anything earlier.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks JD110 that it my exact thoughts. I'll start soaking with penetrating oil and hope for the best.
My weather has been uncooperative raining daily. I'll keep you posted on the penetrating oil. Thanks for posting.
Update, I move the tractor into the 40' barn but its open on both ends not enclosed. I found a plug on the drivers side of the motor its going to the flywheel. The plug is on the opposite side from the starter. Took the plug out and looking in there with a flashlight and yep the flywheel has rust on it. On the bottom of the motor I remember there being a bolt, looked under there and that bolt is directly under the flywheel wheel. Took the bolt plug out and here comes the water. Got about a pint or a little more out of it. Directly behind the flywheel going back towards the cab is PTO lever. So I squirted WD40 on the PTO lever and squirted a good amount in the flywheel plug hole and squirted it behind the flywheel hoping it got on the PTO area behind the flywheel. Its pouring rain so going to let it soak in till tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up on the plugs. Maybe the WD40 landed on the PTO lever area. The weather man just said 6 "s of rain over the next few days and so far today I've gotten 1.10"s and its coming down hard right now. Can't get a break between the rain and tractor PTO being stuck.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,210 Posts
Update, I move the tractor into the 40' barn but its open on both ends not enclosed. I found a plug on the drivers side of the motor its going to the flywheel. The plug is on the opposite side from the starter. Took the plug out and looking in there with a flashlight and yep the flywheel has rust on it. On the bottom of the motor I remember there being a bolt, looked under there and that bolt is directly under the flywheel wheel. Took the bolt plug out and here comes the water. Got about a pint or a little more out of it. Directly behind the flywheel going back towards the cab is PTO lever. So I squirted WD40 on the PTO lever and squirted a good amount in the flywheel plug hole and squirted it behind the flywheel hoping it got on the PTO area behind the flywheel. Its pouring rain so going to let it soak in till tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up on the plugs. Maybe the WD40 landed on the PTO lever area. The weather man just said 6 "s of rain over the next few days and so far today I've gotten 1.10"s and its coming down hard right now. Can't get a break between the rain and tractor PTO being stuck.
Oops... That might not supposed to be a solid plug. That should probably be the plug with what looks like the loose pin dropping through it to allow that water to drain out..

In my Kubota's case, it let the hydraulic oil escape the clutch housing when it was leaking out of the front drive shaft seal. Was supposed to keep the clutch from taking an oil bath.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts