My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is where I have gotten up to on the 5022 brick restore. I ended up stripping the powdercoat off the shroud and started from scratch and I think I have the way I want now minus some decals. The powdercoat really was crappy this time and I tried to scotchbrite and paint over it, but it was a no-go. I am getting the decals done by Echoman's decal shop up in Indiana. I decided that since this project is 90% NOS components that I didn't want to try and do the paint stencil like I had done in the past. This is one mower that will probably never touch grass. Yeah, you heard right, I thought that I would never build a mower that would not cut grass, but this one I think I will save and maybe donate to Baldguy when he opens that OMC museum in Galesburg. LOL That is...if he would take it. LOL I still have to get a few more components to make it complete, IMA is helping big time in that department with a muffler plate and rear height adjuster bracket.

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I think that I even have the wife interested now. She saw me cutting the grass with the 7022 the other day and she ask me, "How old is that lawnmower?" I told her that it was made in 1973 and she thought a bit and said, "Wow". I never thought she would even notice. LOL

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
Do you have the shoulder bolts to put the rear height adjustor on with ?
Do you have new front height adjustors also?
Do you have a new OPEI sticker?
I have one that I will donate, but it says 1980.

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I do have the shoulder bolts for the rear height adjuster. I don't have NOS front height adjusters, I was just going to blast, prime and paint like you did with the IH 3311. Where did you get the shoulder bolts to put the front height adjusters back together with, if you could get me the part no. I can probably buy from ebay. Taking those apart sure makes for a cleaner job. I do have 1972 OPEI stickers on the way. They are the gold ones just like on my 5024. I think that the correct OPEI sticker for the 5022 is probably white and green, but the folks taking the tour of the museum will never know. LOL Thanks again.

I almost forgot to ask...Do you have some NOS front Ht. adjusters? If so I would be interested in buying some. I have some old ones that I was going to use that will work, but since I am trying to keep with the NOS theme here on this project NOS would for sure would be better.

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
I don't think I have any more front NOS adjusters, but will look later. The ones I did have had mouse **** all over them, so I took em apart and painted them, them put them back together.
I'm not sure I ever saw an OPEI stickers that color, but I wasn't paying too much attention to stickers back in 73.Hum, nope, I just remembered I picked up an old Auto Mower the other day, it was gold.Long before 1973.
The front adjusters are not bolted back together on my IH, they are rivited back.I had some old rivets,so I used them.
I'll see what I can do for you on the fronts, I would like to contribute something.
It sure do look pretty, and I can appriciate the work you have put into it.
Ron

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks again for the kind words guys. Well that is good news about the gold OPEI decal. I saw the 5021 that just sold on ebay and it looked like the white version and I see the white one with green lettering on sale on ebay and just assumed that white was correct for that model. One other thing that you guys probably noticed was the carb and intake can and I do have the correct metal carb bowl and the small aluminum air cleaner. One thing I am not sure about though is the correct flywheel cover. Was the flywheel cover metal on both the 5021 and 5022?

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
My 5024 has what's left of a gold OPEI decal... A year newer though.

Looks like quite a project, and a labor of love! Can't wait to see the final product!

I have a question for the brick-top guys... I see most of the 21" models with the single height adjuster lever in the back. What year did they have 2 in the back (4 total)? My grandpas I know had 4 adjusters on it, and I'm 99% sure it was a 21"... Just trying to come up with a year, and maybe model # and possibly find one of the same models to add to the collection that was the first mower I ever pushed when I was a kid...

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 5024 has what's left of a gold OPEI decal... A year newer though.

Looks like quite a project, and a labor of love! Can't wait to see the final product!

I have a question for the brick-top guys... I see most of the 21" models with the single height adjuster lever in the back. What year did they have 2 in the back (4 total)? My grandpas I know had 4 adjusters on it, and I'm 99% sure it was a 21"... Just trying to come up with a year, and maybe model # and possibly find one of the same models to add to the collection that was the first mower I ever pushed when I was a kid...
That would be the 7024 or the 7084 that you are looking for and those came out in 75. The commercial bricktops though, as far as I know, all had the individual adjusters. They just had a plate bolted to the rear so that the same part number adjusters could be mounted as what the fronts had. FordTech converted his residential 19" into a commercial deck by drilling holes and installing the plates on the rear for the adjusters. The decks that have the individual adjusters are my favorite, they seem to be quieter with less rattle as you are rolling along.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Wow! Looks like it will be a true collector's piece of show quality! It would be ashame to use such a great piece. Can't wait to see the work from Crismar does for you. Are they easy to work with over the phone?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Beautiful work! :thThumbsU

So are those pictures of powder coat, or did you end up painting these parts green instead? I'm looking forward to seeing the completed pictures, especially how your decals turn out.

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beautiful work! :thThumbsU

So are those pictures of powder coat, or did you end up painting these parts green instead? I'm looking forward to seeing the completed pictures, especially how your decals turn out.
The deck is powder coat with a couple of coats of grabber green and clear over the topside, the bottom sides of the shroud and deck are powdercoat. I probably should have just stripped the deck down to bare metal to, but I just didn't have the energy. I didn't specify to my powdercoater that I wanted a gloss finish, the NOS deck had a matte finish so I assume that they thought that was what was needed.

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Screen on the 5021 was metal,on the 5022 it was plastic, used same cap tho.
Ron
Thanks Ron, I'll probably just punch model 5022 on the data plate then, have no idea what the serial number should be. The green wheels and the metal flywheel cover would be a bear to find in good condition, let alone NOS.

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow! Looks like it will be a true collector's piece of show quality! It would be ashame to use such a great piece. Can't wait to see the work from Crismar does for you. Are they easy to work with over the phone?
Yeah super easy, Oma is real nice, my kinda business...I emailed them and Oma called right away. I went ahead and sent another shroud that had the best original decals so that she could get a good match. Baldguy was nice enough to send me a NOS fuel instruction decal so it is all coming together fairly well. I still need to send some handles to paulschrome and order some new wheels.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts