My Tractor Forum banner

50 lb wheel weights - per side or total?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  C2H8O 
#1 · (Edited)
Very newbie here.

Are wheel weight sets specified per tire or both sides total weight? For example, if I get a 50 lb wheel weight set, is that two 25 lb weights or two 50 lb weights?

I am asking because I am considering weighting the tires with calcium chloride and water solution, and the chart in the sticky posting says that adds about 50 lbs. per tire.

BTW, I just asked a farmer who grows organic crops about water weighting in his ag tires.
- Fills it 80% with liquid, not 100% and pressurizes it with air to give some spring and suspension.
- Uses calcium chloride as antifreeze rather than propylene or ethylene glycol because if the tire is cut, he does not want that in his crops.
- Uses tubes because the calcium chloride corrodes the rims.

thanks,
DougL

#6 ·
I usually recommend against calcium chloride. Even in an inner tube. Somehow the rims always seem to get corroded away. Not worth it. Foam fill is good if you are willing to pay the price; otherwise use one of the glycols or windshield washer fluid.

Doug

#8 ·
I looked at RimGuard. The MSDS sheet says it is a calcium chloride solution with proprietary rust inhibitors. Perhaps the rust inhibitors are derived from beets.

I appreciate the info on CaCl2 and corrosion even with tubes. I will probably not risk the corrosion and go for simple steel weights. The driver also adds significant weight (ahem).

#9 ·
Nope, that's the MSDS for Citrastar-50. Here's the MSDS for RimGuard.

#10 ·
Oh. I googled for "rimguard msds" and it brought up ballaststar.com, which names their tire ballast "Rimguard"; perhaps it is also known as Citrastar, but I did not notice that name on the site. The site you suggested, rimguard.biz, also names a "Rimguard" ballast with very different contents.

I'm a novice at this tractor stuff, I'll take your word which is the real Rimguard. It is a nifty idea, filling tires with beet goo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.