My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what I got! I was told it was a Bolens over the phone so when I got there, I wasn't seeing Bolens (MTD) or the original Bolens FMC. No manufacturer tag anywhere. Has a standard Peerless transaxle, with std looking Murray wheels. The only thing that got me to thinking yea, possibly a Murray was the Blade spindles looked like Quill style mandrel housings.

Engine is a Briggs Twin 18hp, with year code 84xxxxx. So it is at least a 84 or 85, but beyond that the deck doesn't resemble anything I've seen. Notice the raised skirt of the edges. Not a deep side skirt, as it is designed to kick the grass all around the sides in a loose mulching style, and yet it has a side shute.....It has 3 blades, that you don't normally see on a 42" deck. This is supposed to be a runner. It has been the PO back up mower, but he bought a new JD, so he didn't feel it necessary to have a back up mower any more. But it has sat for over a year. I need to charge the battery up and see why the "new" solenoid is not starting the engine. He was jumping the battery wire to start it.

Anyhoo, what is it? The colors remind me of something that Kmart might have sold back in the day....I don't know.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
The foot rests, fenders and dash really do look Murray don't they. The deck I can't say. The hood and front end though, look like nothing I have ever seen. K Mart as the retailer is a good guess.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
With the new photos, I'm leaning more towards Murray, especially with the deck controls.

EDIT* Still trying to soak this one in hankll. I forget what year they stopped, but Murray 42" decks were a 3 blade system for a while. Everything about this machine that makes me say Murray is......

1. The foot rests, fenders and dashboard. Especially where the battery is, looks like the covers missing, but for $50 who cares.

2. The deck height adjustment, control levers and deck "profile".

3. The "Heavy Duty Transaxle" writing. Murray did this on all their tractors and the tractors rebadged for others in the 80's. Same size, font etc.

The only thing throwing me is the hood.........

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I need to poke around the Murray forum. There is a "kid" [meaning under 25 to me lol] on here that has an Agway that may have the same front end.

Found it. MTD snow plows Agway GT has the same front end/profile. That lt is a Murray.

Attachments

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So the Agway hood is identical down to the chrome headlight bezel. Even his deck is the same style of side skirts. I wasn't sure, but began to get an idea when I saw the underside of the deck with what was to me, very familiar spindles with the Quill appearance. I 'll say one thing, that deck looks to be a :Stop: !itch to get off! I've seen complicated before, but I believe that one takes the cake!

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
It looks like someone took good care of the one you got.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like someone took good care of the one you got.
The man kept it in a garage that was climate controlled or at least during winter. There was forced air heater unit hanging in the corner near the ceiling.

·
Registered
690 Posts
It has to be Murray, everything but the hood looks just like my oldest one. dash, deck, and all except the hood. That was my favorite murray, comfortable good ole murray

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
BBY, I meant to mention after one of your comments, that I have the battery compartment cover, but it is broken at the places that the screw holes were to attach it. It seems the battery hold down rods to hold the battery got loose. It is a probability that I can do some of my "repair" technique with the aluminum sheet.

I also noticed after I posted and I went back down to look it over, that it looks as though the back end was able to have a Sleeve hitch. Being a LT, it never did, nothing was ever hung there. But it has threaded attachment holes where the sleeve hitch would go. Also has the lift rod slot in the left side. So they apparently built the two different LT and GT on the same frame.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Whoooee! It is a runner. Went down to TSC, and got a solenoid for it, put it on while I had the battery charger going. By the time I had the solenoid replaced the battery had taken a full charge. Not bad for a year long set. Battery seems good. Cranked it, and got nothing, not a sputter. So I'm thinking, uh-oh, gonna have to maybe clean the carb out. I pulled the air cleaner frame top off and removed the air filter cartridge. Way dirty with lots of dusty dirt. Squirted some gas into the carb throat, and then cranked the starter over. fired right up. I saw just a small amount of bluish smoke puff out. Then it, wonder of wonders!, kept running after I let off the choke. It runs good and smooth. Idles nice.

Now the ultimate test. The deck! I engaged the blades, oops I cut my remaining ratchet strap that I had attached to the deck up over the the blade pulley to hold the brake pedal down. Oh, well, I'll tie a knot in it. Anyway, I engaged the blades. WOW! This thing is so quiet! That is one of the smoothest operating decks while engaged, I've ever heard. I didn't get a chance to unload it off the trailer yet. But I'm taking it out into my torture test yard tomorrow.

I still have to adjust the brake pedal adjustment so I can engage the parking brake. That is why I had the ratchet strap holding the brake pedal down. I'm going to also fix the plastic battery cover with some aluminum sheet.

Beyond that, it seems like when I get the oil changed, and put a new air filter on it, it'll be ready to trade places with the 95 Murray I bought earlier this Spring. I'll put the 95 up for sale as soon as I get it cleaned up and serviced. I like this new old one. If it rides and handles half as good as it sounds, I'm keeping it. It reminds me of my old 1984 Murray 11(12)/36 I sold this past Spring for $50. With the 3 blades instead of 2 like most 42" I bet I won't hit stuff as much as a normal 42" 2 blade does.

Here are a couple more photo's _ Real sealed beam headlights! Ok, 3 more photo's:thThumbsU

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I noiticed those hitch holes myself. I don't blame you for keeping that one. Especially with how you are describing the deck. Unique and rare paint scheme and super clean to boot. I bet some Turtle Wax will make that green pop. I need to buy a trailer big time and start trying to get in on some of these deals I see on CL. No GT's but a lot of flippable/fixable lt's.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey BBY, Is there a chance you or anyone else could give me a model number to get me the parts diagram for this rider that would be like a comparable Murray style. The chances of me finding out what this one actually is, is slim and none. But if I had the parts diagram I could buy the right belts, and maybe pulleys, too. The Quill spindles would seem to be the same as the later ones.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I actually checked quick yesterday. There was only one 42" model in 1984 and no 42" models for a few years before or after 1984. Outside of the hood I think it may be a perfect match. PM an email and I'll shoot the parts file over.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Great! BBY, I've said it before, and I'm repeating myself, but You da Man!

Perfect match in everything, even the grille, just not the hood. Exactly what I needed. Now, I'll put a hand made tag on it where I believe the other one was mounted originally. It won't be the exact model for the brand but will pretty much put it in the strike zone for anyone to get parts for it, should I ever sell it. Like I said, unless it just handles and cuts lousy, I'm keeping it. But I'll back it off the trailer tomorrow and try out the trans and the cutting quality, with 3 blades, I ought to see an improvement in that area, over a 2 blade deck.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think I have the Murray version of the same tractor. The only difference I see is the hood and the shift pattern. Mine's also labeled an 18/42. Mine is a garden tractor, and I kind of think yours is too. It was designed to take a sleeve hitch.

I have the owner's manual for my tractor and for the 42" mowing deck. I told BBY and one other person that when I get the manual scanned in I'll send them a digital copy, and I'll be glad to do the same for you. I better start making a list, I don't remember things so well.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hayhauler - that'd be great on the owner manual. Now that I decided to get this one into my stable for mowing purposes I'd sure like to familiarize myself with the features. I'll PM you later to be added to the list. And I'm liable to elbow you to remind you if you don't mind.

And I don't believe it is a GT...the tires are too small. Only 8" on the back and 6" on the front. But this thing is built heavy as a tank. It has had new tires put on the back if I'm not mistaken. It has Armstrong brand tires, and the others are Carlisle on the front. In fact looking at the tread on the front, I'm wondering if those were the original tread design for this bad boy. I'm betting I better not do any wet grass mowing or I'm liable to go straight when I want to turn.

I just think they built the LT's and the GT's on the same frame. Would have been sweet if it had been a GT.

Edit: I looked over the Murray GT that BBY posted in this thread for a comparison to my NoName LT. The front tires on his look an awful lot like my front tires. So maybe they are the originals. Hardly any weather cracking on the back ones and I haven't seen any cracking on the front ones.

Edit my Edit: I just looked at the parts diagram, BBY sent me, and if you can go by the artist rendering of the front and back tires, they are the originals. Unfortunately, they don't list size for each tire. Just a part number.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I changed oil, and got the parking brake fixed, aired up the tires. and started mowing.

It is so quiet, under the deck you can just barely hear the blades whirlwind noise. The twin engine is louder than the deck action. As a contrast the deck on the Green Machine 52", is so noisy you think it is probably going to shake apart.
As far as the mowing action goes, it is a sweet mower, I hit a few things, but as I guessed the blade was just skimming the object. Got a couple of rocks that are out of the ground a little, and I can skim them usually with out bending the blade, I feel I did alright. Now, just so you understand, I was testing this one. It is my torture test and I have the yard for it, rocks, tree roots, mole tunnel mounds, hillside climbing, ditch running, and lots of flying dust.

The one thing about this rider I don't care for is the steering. It drives like a truck without power steering, The steering wheel has some damage to it, and I believe it is caused from the hard steering. I began watching the axle beam, and noticed that it deflects the beam forward when steering left, and that causes a shallow turn to the left. So that is a problem that I need to investigate. The other thing is, it has had damage to the original left spindle arm, and it has been replaced by a Murray red/vermilion color spindle on it and it doesn't match the right side one in construction. In my brief inspection of the beam, I noticed that when I turn steering wheel, it jiggled and moved the mower deck. Looking closer, the deck front mount hangs directly from the axle beam. I don't know if it just needs grease in the joints and nothing else is wrong or it is because the deck hangs on the beam, or the looseness of the beam fore and aft when turning, or the odd steering spindle or all of the above is the problem. But I'm inclined to sell it if I can't get it to handle better. Not throwing in the towel yet, though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts