My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First hi. How do I find what mower deck I have? Where is the serial number located? One of the bearings went on the left side.. what are my options?

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
50" deck, correct? Grease fittings on the top thru the belt covers? Riding tractor? It would have had a white label with model and serial number but they peal off. Most like I just described all take the same bearings, spindle is rebuildable. I can post more info later, working now. Post a picture if you can.

Sheldon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First hi. How do I find what mower deck I have? Where is the serial number located? One of the bearings went on the left side.. what are my options?
Sorry it's on old 812
50" deck, correct? Grease fittings on the top thru the belt covers? Riding tractor? It would have had a white label with model and serial number but they peal off. Most like I just described all take the same bearings, spindle is rebuildable. I can post more info later, working now. Post a picture if you can.

Sheldon
50 -yes, grease -yes, riding tractor -yes,

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
The bearings in the spindles are simple tapered automotive bearings, TIMKEN SET 14 – L44643/L44610.

Here is a link to the operators manual for the deck. https://manuals.gtcoa.com/pdf/40_50_Inch_Rotary_Mower_Op_Man_0988.pdf

It is important that you understand there is no adjustment on these bearings. Both the top and bottom nuts on the spindle must be fully tightened. If the spindle bearings are too tight you need new spindle shafts or shims for the bearings.

Sheldon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bearings in the spindles are simple tapered automotive bearings, TIMKEN SET 14 – L44643/L44610.

Here is a link to the operators manual for the deck. https://manuals.gtcoa.com/pdf/40_50_Inch_Rotary_Mower_Op_Man_0988.pdf

It is important that you understand there is no adjustment on these bearings. Both the top and bottom nuts on the spindle must be fully tightened. If the spindle bearings are too tight you need new spindle shafts or shims for the bearings.

Sheldon
Where can I get some of these parts

Sheldon
I need 1#56,1#57,1#58. Where can I find this? Can I find this on Amazon? Is there a complete spindle kit on Amazon?

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Do you have a GRAVELY dealer nearby, or somewhere in Canada who will ship to you? #56 and #57 are metal washers that make up the seal, they are not generic, they are GRAVELY specific. The bearing is the standard Timken part I referenced above, should be available from any good auto parts outlet.

Try this web site: https://www.jackssmallengines.com/

They are one of the largest GRAVELY parts suppliers in the world. I don't know what their shipping policies are to Canada. I know there are a fair number of GRAVELY owners in Canada, surely there are some resources for parts.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
The only new replacement spindles available will be sealed maintenance free versions which may require different pulleys as well.

The parts you need are also often available in good used condition on Ebay. GRAVELY did not change this stuff much, in the case of these spindles if it has the top grease fitting most are the same, even from other model decks.

One more note, when searching all GRAVELY/Ariens part numbers are 6 or 8 digits, add a zero at the beginning of any older 5 digit numbers.

Sheldon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only new replacement spindles available will be sealed maintenance free versions which may require different pulleys as well.

The parts you need are also often available in good used condition on Ebay. GRAVELY did not change this stuff much, in the case of these spindles if it has the top grease fitting most are the same, even from other model decks.

One more note, when searching all GRAVELY/Ariens part numbers are 6 or 8 digits, add a zero at the beginning of any older 5 digit numbers.

Sheldon
The gravely guy here can't find the parts. I will tell him about adding a 0 infrastructure. Thx for your help. I will keep you posted. All I need is bearing and a the spacer. I think.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
So my tablet or this site went crazy earlier.

Any Gravely dealer who can't find those parts needs to rethink his occupational choices......

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
He can't be much of a GRAVELY guy if he does not know that. These parts are very common on Gravelys from 1970 to 2000 or even newer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can anyone direct me to replacement spindles for my deck. For later in life. What is the serial number for the mower deck?

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Can anyone direct me to replacement spindles for my deck. For later in life. What is the serial number for the mower deck?
Do you mean the whole spindle assembly? If you replace the whole thing all GRAVELY has are sealed maintenance free versions which require new pulleys and blade hubs. You don't need the serial number, or even the model number. The part numbers from the manual I liked to will cross over to the newest version of the individual parts and they will work. Pretty sure spindle shafts are still available.

Sheldon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you mean the whole spindle assembly? If you replace the whole thing all GRAVELY has are sealed maintenance free versions which require new pulleys and blade hubs. You don't need the serial number, or even the model number. The part numbers from the manual I liked to will cross over to the newest version of the individual parts and they will work. Pretty sure spindle shafts are still available.

Sheldon
Ok thx. You have been a lot help. Gravely lives on!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Gravely dealer in Toronto is closing I will check and see if he has some good used spindles, how many would you need?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts