My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just turned 50 hours on the tractor and I am ging to try to do the service myself. Here is what the manual calls for:
1. Change trans axle oil and filter
2. Lube front axle pivot and axle spindles, mower spindles, pivot points and
lift pedals.
3. Power stering cylinder ends.

Are there any tricks and tips to get this done correctly and safely? The manual does not mention changing the engine oil at this time but I think I will change it anyway. Thanks in advance for your knowledge sharing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was getting ready to do my 50 hr service on my transmission but I am having the dealer do it. I think i have a spindle bearing going out and since they have to drop the deck anyway i'm having them do it.

I did take the deck off to check my spindles and it was fairly easy for the 1st time. I took off the deck, cleaned it and checked the spindles. I had it back on in right about 1 hr. You will have to do this to service the trans. I looked at where the filter and drain bolts are and it should go very quick after you get the deck off.

As far as lubing the manual will show all of the locations and the recommended grease.

I believe the oil changes are after the 1st 8 hrs. and then every 100 hrs after that. I still change before using the 1st time out. I put on 50 hrs or so a year.

I should get mine back on Monday. I'm curious to what they say about the bearings. The deck just kept getting louder and louder.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks heatman,
Your correct about the 8 hour change of the engine oil and I did do that. The filter was a booger bear to get off. Broke my oil filter wrench and ended up getting it off with a pipe wrench ( and a little help from a screwdriver)
You say you think you have a spindle bearing going out and the deck is getting louder. Which deck do you have? Mulching kit? The reason I ask is because mine is getting louder and seems to be a vibration with the kit and I have noticed that the deck doesnt stop when I lift it. It feels like it hits the bottom of the mower.
I am going to try to do the trans service myself since my trailer is about an hour away at my dads house. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts