My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Looking for advice. I am looking at two used tractors, both in really great shape with 1200 hours each. One is a BX1500 with mid mount mower, rear blower, and blade for $9300. The other is a B7100hst 4x4 with a mid mount mower only for $6500. Neither has a loader, which keeps the price within my reach. I have a small driveway and about an acre of yard to take care of. The blower isn't really needed, but is nice. All I really need is the mower and the ability to tow a little trailer around my yard. I really don't care at all about the quality of the cut, I am not particularly fond of my lawn, but I do care about 4x4 and the 3ph since I would like to be able to navigate snow and pull a trailer to move firewood.

Would love to hear thoughts. I am really attracted to the price of the 7100, but I worry about parts since it is an older tractor. The 1500 seems like a great setup, but it is way more expensive. I am limited to what pops up used around here, and it doesn't seem to be much! I can always keep waiting I suppose.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Well the 7100 is a CUT and a more capable tractor with a loader; however you say you don't care about a loader.

The BX is a SCUT it is probably lighter and would mow better. If your primary uses is mowing I would get the BX. That snow blower will come in handy someday.

I would go tell them you take the BX for $8,500 because of Kubota financing blah blah blah.

Not nearly as much market for a cut or Scut without a loader; remind them of that too

Edit: okay I was wrong about the weight on the 7100 it is 1050 according to tractordata the BX is 1200. I would still go with the BX for mowing

·
Rich in RI
83 Posts
I have a 2004 BX1500 which I love! I mow an acre and a third, and I plow a 400’ driveway. I don’t have and did not want a loader, but I did want a back saver so I bought a boom for the 3ph. Works great. I have a Handi Hitch which has two trailer balls (1 7/8” and 2”) for two trailers that I move around. I also use it with a Cyclone Rake, which is great. I passed on the blower that was on it when I bought it, and instead bought the front blade because the snow we get here along the coast is often wet and slushy, so the blade works better. Having said all this, I think the price is a little high, but not crazy if the condition is a 9 or 10. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have a 2004 BX1500 which I love! I mow an acre and a third, and I plow a 400’ driveway. I don’t have and did not want a loader, but I did want a back saver so I bought a boom for the 3ph. Works great. I have a Handi Hitch which has two trailer balls (1 7/8” and 2”) for two trailers that I move around. I also use it with a Cyclone Rake, which is great. I passed on the blower that was on it when I bought it, and instead bought the front blade because the snow we get here along the coast is often wet and slushy, so the blade works better. Having said all this, I think the price is a little high, but not crazy if the condition is a 9 or 10. Hope this helps.
Yes I agree with the price being a little high you can buy a BX, no loader, around here with just the mower deck around 6 or $6500. Probably with lower hours. The snow blower adds about a grand to it then you're at $7500. I honestly don't think I would give them more than $7500 even if it's in great condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to mention those prices are in CAD and the tractors are in eastern Canada where they are less common and a bit more expensive. The same tractors in western or central Canada would be less money on the used market for sure, but they are a VERY long way away. With that said, I may be able to beat the price on the BX down a bit since it is a private sale and, I agree, it is a bit on the high side. For example, there is a BX2200 with a deck only and 700 hours for $9800 about 4 hours from here.

I missed out on a Deere 2210 with MMM only for $6500 when I first started looking. I had no idea how good that price was and I had my heart set on orange. Hindsight...

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I wouldn't go with either of them to be honest, just doesn't make sense when you can buy a Brand New BX1880 with a mower deck at full msrp 11422 US according to the website, get 0% financing and a multiple year warranty. No one buys at full msrp.
Oh and get the loader you'll be glad you did!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would love to have a loader, but its just not in the cards right now. If I price out a bx1880 with deck and blower in Canadian dollars with tax (at msrp mind you) I am a lot closer to 21K than the 9K that the used machine costs. Both of those numbers are before haggling, and you are probably right, the 1880 would come down a lot in price. I get the logic - new tractor, zero percent financing, warranty, etc, but you pay for that stuff to the tune of 12 grand (by my numbers, I may be off a bit, the Canadian site won't cough up pricing). That is significantly more than my total tractor budget. Even if you take the blower out it is still way more than I want to spend. Maybe in 5 or so years I can trade in and get something new and better equipped, but for now I think I am on the used market.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Now you need a blower? That wasn't part of the original equation? Even so, these aren't the normal product that works for a few years then it's junk. I have owned a compact tractor for 35 years,, yes it's still running, good as new and ready to do whatever I ask it to do. The new BX23s will likely be with me the rest of my tractoring days and perhaps the old compact to!

I didn't want to pay 20k for the new one myself but I wasn't buying a 5 year old God only knows what was done to it machine for a few k less than new either. Paying cash didn't make sense, the cash discount was 400 bucks, and with 0 finance it didn't make sense to drop a bunch of coin for a dp either. Put the 20k in a separate account attached an auto payment to it and moved on with more important things. Think on the long term, you'll still have it 20 years out if you take care of it. My opinion, current conditions just aren't favorable to used machines unless they are dirt cheap.

So how long is the driveway?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now you need a blower? That wasn't part of the original equation?
No, you're right, I was just comparing the used 1500 to a new 1880. The driveway is tiny and the blower is not needed, but I will admit I would like to have it!

I will call today to get some real pricing to get my head around the 1880. I hadn't considered anything other than used.

·
Administrator
13,541 Posts
You should be able to get a 10-12% discount from a dealer, which may or may not get mitigated some if you take the financing offer.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Cash or finance didn't make a difference in the final price at the dealer I went to. But yes price was less than msrp, if I remember it was around 9% on a BX23s, I could have done better on the other BX models, not as popular I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts