My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Does anyone happen to know if there are any non-hydraulic 4wd transmissions for garden tractors that are currently being produced? I'm looking for a manual (geared) transmission for a tractor that I'm designing and I'm curious about what the best option would be for the build. I'm looking to go with geared instead of hydraulic because of the durability and the lower cost of running that I've heard geared transmission provide. I'd also be interested in hearing about any older (60's/70's) 4wd geared transmissions that have been proven to be very reliable. Thanks in advance for any information anyone can pass along.

P.S. The total length of the tractor frame is 67 inches.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't know of any being made but maybe you could use a stock trans in the back that has the same ratios as one from an all steer mower for the front and just transfer all the steering knuckles and joints. :dunno: :wwp:

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I had a Honda 5518 that was gear driven with a hydraulic wet clutch. Had a two speed differential with 4 forward gear and 2 in reverse, so 8 forward speeds. This also had 4 wheel steering.

The tractor was great but the attachments were absolutely awful to install. Going from mower to blower was a 3 hour job.:fing20:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts