My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this decent looking Johnson 4hp off a wheeler dealer who deals in a lot of reservoir boats knowing it turned over and had at least some compression. I gave $100 for it which I know is a good deal. The model number tells it as a 1982 which is in a 3 year range when OMC went back to points ( universal magneto )

Threw it in a water bin, hooked up a fuel tank and there is no life in it right yet. I sprayed mix fuel into the carb to see if I could get any pop and there is nothing. Pretty much know that I need to pull the flywheel and put points, condensors and coils in it.
However NOVA II modules have been used on these. Are they a worthwhile upgrade? Or should I just keep the points?

·
Super Moderator
32,171 Posts
Thats a great deal! Even junk these days are selling for 4-500 it seems. As for getting it running... Its a non running unknown at this point. I think I would get to the points, clean them up if you can, and see if it fires and runs. If so, then I would look into upgrading.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention the second motor I bought from the same guy. A very similar but much newer 1997 Evinrude 4hp. Same powerhead and lower unit but it has a different ignition system and is tiller throttle. It was locked up so I gave him $20 as a parts motor. Today For the fun of it, I pulled the plugs. Top was clean and oily. bottom was dry, so I knew the bottom cyl was stuck but I could rock the flywheel enough to have some hope. I pumped some gear oil in the cylinders and let it sit for an hr. After an hr I used short 11/16" wrench and a tiny bit of force to break it free and spun it by hand several times. It was barely stuck, were talking under 10 ft/ lbs, more like inch pounds..

Now it's blowing 175 in the top cylinder and 180 in the bottom cylinder. I have to fix the choke linkage which is also the fuel shutoff but looking at an IPL should figure that out. But I'm going to have this one running as well

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure if I'm going to bother much with the Evinrude, since it's not in great shape. Top latches are broken and that choke linkage that is broken is a $35 part and discontinued. There are a few left in the parts system for $35 though.. I have a Hangkai 3.5hp as well which runs fine although it's a POS it will move a boat through the water. And with the older Johnson being a much nicer motor, I only need 2 not 3 and really only need one. I may sell the 'rude'

You should look up Ruthless Ron on Facebook Marketplace. He's in Saugergies and has a bit of everything. That's where I got the motors

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to update this.. I threw on a new/ old carb that's not even for the right year 4hp ( 1986 ) but it works mostly the same onto the 1997.. Now the 1997 4hp is a 2 pull starter and I have it tuned to a slow troll at idle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts