My Tractor Forum banner

48in deck not taking grease

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  MARK (LI) 
#1 ·
hi all, my 1641 cub has 48in deck, 3 blades ,1 belt. the center blade has grease fitting that is removable, put fitting in gun goes right threw, put fitting back in will not take nothing. left and right outer blades has fitting that you cant remove, neither one will take grease. i have deck out and dont see any grease around top or bottom of spindle. could they be sealed units? center fitting i took out and stuck pease of wire in and out and deffinetly had grease in there. my 2nd yr to mow with it and nothing on deck can be greased. someone last yr said try heating it with little propane bottle and that didnt work. nothing is noisy but like to no whats up?
(cub cadet 48in GTdeck mod #317190) thanx in advance all

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe the fittings are gunked up... did you have a peek inside when you had them off?

Replacements are cheap and plentiful.

EDIT* Re-read your post and I guess grease is going into the fittings when they're off... stands to reason though that if it's greaseable it should go into the bearings.

Maybe hardened grease deeper down...?

#3 ·
ALL grease zerks are removable, otherwise how did they get there?
Perhaps the best thing to do is remove the entire spindle assembly to a bench vise. That way you have access to it. With a pair of pliers or vise locks, grasp the part sticking out and pull and they will come out ( a pull or slide hammer works great). If you break one off, then you will have to drill it out. But then you can tap the hole for a threaded replacement grease zerk.
On the other hand, if you don't want to go through all the work, just buy a new spindle. They are not all that expensive, just be sure to get one with a grease zerk as some don't.

#4 · (Edited)
You need a small socket to get those fittings out that you think cannot be removed...and you still may break them off...that grease gets kind of hard over time...try sticking a piece of wire in the hole and working it around....and heat from a torch should work....just use a low flame for a longer time...not a big blast all at once...just stick with it.....another trick is to remove the fitting...make sure it is clear and then screw it in by hand.....then back it out about 3/4 of a turn...sometimes they get scewed in so far you can't get greasse in because the inside end is right up to the surface it is supposed to be lubing....if you get the grease in at this point...then tighten it up snugly....or new spindles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.