My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
You can have them check the frame to see if that is twisted as k4dan suggested or Maybe if the Mounting hitch was not assembled right at the Factory at Least that Factory is still working right now. Maybe You Can get a new Blade Lift Hitch just to see if that is the Issue or it could even be the adjustment Arms (y)
I think the frame is twisted. One measurement on level ground to the holes the hitch mounts to on the front of the tractor seems to confirm it. The difference from one side to the other from ground is 1/4". Do you agree? I think k4dan is right. I wonder if JD will do anything for me on this?
Font Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Diagram

·
Super Moderator
39,341 Posts
Make sure that tire pressure is the same in both back tires and the same for the fronts. It's amazing that a pound or two will make a change on how level the frame sets.

·
Super Moderator
17,722 Posts
I think the frame is twisted. One measurement on level ground to the holes the hitch mounts to on the front of the tractor seems to confirm it. The difference from one side to the other from ground is 1/4". Do you agree? I think k4dan is right. I wonder if JD will do anything for me on this? View attachment 2524615
Your Dealers Territory reps will be the deciding factor 1 for service and 1 for sales usually you'll get the service one and they Make a determination at the dealership when Your dealer picks it up for this issue. Now some of them are actually Mechanical engineers and some are not.

It May take up to a Month to get a decision so be Prepared.

Usually they'll have a decision in a few Days weather they Just give You a new One, Change out the frame or what.

Is this tractor Under 30 days of Purchase Because if it is more then Likely they'll just give you a new one.

But if they determine your frame was bent by something you did Then your out of luck . But it could just be the Blade lift section which is out of wack. But it is up to them one way on the other .

Basically there not going to take your word for it .Until it is seen by the dealer mechanics and the Deere Territory Rep. Something to keep in mind some of these Territory Reps have big service areas so be patient may even take a while for him or her to show up Because Many of them are also the Repo men/woman for Deere on top of being the Territory rep.

Oh if You have anything after Market on the X590 remove it Before it goes Into the dealership (y)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think the frame is twisted. One measurement on level ground to the holes the hitch mounts to on the front of the tractor seems to confirm it. The difference from one side to the other from ground is 1/4". Do you agree? I think k4dan is right. I wonder if JD will do anything for me on this?
You measured the holes, is it possible the holes weren't drilled square to each other? Did you measure also to a fixed point on the frame or the front mounting bracket it self as well to point to the frame being the issue?

·
Murph
1,922 Posts
I don't expect perfect but the blade should come close to parallel with the ground for it to work correctly.
No it doesn't matter what the blade does when lifted, as long as the blade when down is flush with the surface it will work just fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
You measured the holes, is it possible the holes weren't drilled square to each other? Did you measure also to a fixed point on the frame or the front mounting bracket it self as well to point to the frame being the issue?
It's hard to measure anything relevant there. The only thing that really matters is that the holes used from one side ot the tractor to the other are not the same distance to the ground. No matter what the cause I can;t do anything about it other than let the dealer see my concerns and see where that takes me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
No it doesn't matter what the blade does when lifted, as long as the blade when down is flush with the surface it will work just fine.
I guess I'd gotten spoiled with the front blade on my old 345. For whatever reason you could bring it close to the ground when clearing snow and you didn't have to slam it into the driveway in order to do the job. You actually could float it as close to the ground as you wanted to and it was even. Maybe it was just a fluke that it was made well back in 1997 and I was just lucky then. I could go on about how much easier the 345 was to use than the x590 but it won't do me any good. I would have just put a new engine in that one if I'd only known that new garden tractor wasn't going to be better--it would only be new.

·
Super Moderator
17,722 Posts
I guess I'd gotten spoiled with the front blade on my old 345. For whatever reason you could bring it close to the ground when clearing snow and you didn't have to slam it into the driveway in order to do the job. You actually could float it as close to the ground as you wanted to and it was even. Maybe it was just a fluke that it was made well back in 1997 and I was just lucky then. I could go on about how much easier the 345 was to use than the x590 but it won't do me any good. I would have just put a new engine in that one if I'd only known that new garden tractor wasn't going to be better--it would only be new.
I ike the way the 1st generation of X500 series front Implements connect ie X500 thru X590(1st Model Year) it use a separate front Rocker shaft Like the 325 thru GX355. But didn't Have a sub frame Going Back to the Mid Mount rocker shaft . You Had 1 thread rod from Front rocker shaft to Implement Lift Hitch Bracket and you just used clevis Pins and spring clips to Mount the Threaded rod. New system was developed so they didn't need to Make a separate rocker shafts for raising and lowering front Implements. The new system was made to just to eliminate that front rocker shaft . I don't like the new system either other then the 44inch Blower doesn't have issue with the Front weight Bracket Bumper meaning the 44inch will actually lift 5.5 inches instead of 2inch with the weight bracket on (y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Your Dealers Territory reps will be the deciding factor 1 for service and 1 for sales usually you'll get the service one and they Make a determination at the dealership when Your dealer picks it up for this issue. Now some of them are actually Mechanical engineers and some are not.

It May take up to a Month to get a decision so be Prepared.

Usually they'll have a decision in a few Days weather they Just give You a new One, Change out the frame or what.

Is this tractor Under 30 days of Purchase Because if it is more then Likely they'll just give you a new one.

But if they determine your frame was bent by something you did Then your out of luck . But it could just be the Blade lift section which is out of wack. But it is up to them one way on the other .

Basically there not going to take your word for it .Until it is seen by the dealer mechanics and the Deere Territory Rep. Something to keep in mind some of these Territory Reps have big service areas so be patient may even take a while for him or her to show up Because Many of them are also the Repo men/woman for Deere on top of being the Territory rep.

Oh if You have anything after Market on the X590 remove it Before it goes Into the dealership (y)
I had the service department at my dealer look at it. They managed to adjust it a little better than I was able to but they said it would not be perfect. I walked over to an X580 they had out front and measured the distance from that same mounting hole on either side of the frame to ground. It was also off by about 1/4 inch. Based on that I decided to just let it ride and accept the way it is. There would be no point in going further with it since I guess John Deere just doesn't figure precision matters there and another machine would probably be just the same. Now I'm going back to my other project with the X590--making the 30" tiller work with my new tractor. I've already mounted what I need to on the tractor and just need to see if I can make the tiller work without replacing the frame. I noticed some interesting threads about this from about 11 years ago with an X500 that gives me hope.

·
Super Moderator
17,722 Posts
I had the service department at my dealer look at it. They managed to adjust it a little better than I was able to but they said it would not be perfect. I walked over to an X580 they had out front and measured the distance from that same mounting hole on either side of the frame to ground. It was also off by about 1/4 inch. Based on that I decided to just let it ride and accept the way it is. There would be no point in going further with it since I guess John Deere just doesn't figure precision matters there and another machine would probably be just the same. Now I'm going back to my other project with the X590--making the 30" tiller work with my new tractor. I've already mounted what I need to on the tractor and just need to see if I can make the tiller work without replacing the frame. I noticed some interesting threads about this from about 11 years ago with an X500 that gives me hope.
this thread should help you out with the Tiller Anyone Used a 30 Inch Mechanical Tiller? But you will still need to Buy the Lift Kit for the tiller to use it on a X590 even if You don't use a New tilling sub frame Basically you will still need the Link & Brace show below Plus the Hardware That goes with those Pieces The rear threaded Lift Link though You Can probably steal from your exisisting tiller (y)

Rectangle Font Terrestrial plant Slope Parallel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
this thread should help you out with the Tiller Anyone Used a 30 Inch Mechanical Tiller? But you will still need to Buy the Lift Kit for the tiller to use it on a X590 even if You don't use a New tilling sub frame Basically you will still need the Link & Brace show below Plus the Hardware That goes with those Pieces The rear threaded Lift Link though You Can probably steal from your exisisting tiller (y)

View attachment 2527849
I finished that part of the installation a few days ago. Man--that fender deck was a pain to take on and off!. The instructions in the tiller manual that are supposed to be for the x570, x580 and x590 are not really accurate for the X590. I noticed one of the illustrations showing an X520 with the free wheel release lever on the opposite side (rt instead of left) and I used only 1 new bushing at the hydraulic cylinder and the new lift rod pretty much ignoring the instructions. It fit and worked fine however. I messaged midnitetr8n to ask a question about how to place the mounting holes for the new tiller clamps but I see how to do it after thinking about it. Is midnitetr8n still around? Then I noticed some old threads that dealt with that very question I had. I haven't seen any new posts from him since sometime in 2015. I'll let you know how this works out. I actually have two of these 30" tillers. I quit using one when the sub frame of the tiller itself cracked and got a good price on a new one to replace it probably 10 years ago. I'm thinking now about buying a new frame for it and having a spare this way.

View attachment 2527849

·
Super Moderator
17,722 Posts
midnitetr8n hasn't been on in 6 years actually But his thread is still useful
All I can say is Lucky You! Two 30inch Tillers I just Gave Up trying to find a used OEM one for My GX335 and Bought One of the Last Bercomac 30inch PTO tiller Produced Nice thing about that I Can use it On My JD GX335 & My Cub Cadet XT3 GSX I can even use it on either generation of X500 series Bercomac Has a Manual spring assist for height control But Pretty easy to lift (y)

41 - 53 of 53 Posts