My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's another thread, but couldn't get an answer.

My 48" deck's center spindle's grease zerk won't accept grease. Since it's the center spindle, I have no room really to yank it.

Do I need to remove the deck and give it a good yank with vice grips?

Any other tricks for getting a press-in zerk out without removing the deck and when there is no clearance?

I'm new to tractors... I've heard putting the CC deck back on is a pain.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Jim yes, absolutely remove the deck to remove/replace that zerk.

May as well sharpen the blades while it's off too. btw when you remove the deck you'll find more zerks on the pulley arbors...I think.

I don't know about the GT3235 but most decks get easier to put on the more times you do it. Sure taking them off is simple.

I use these wedges the elevate the back of the deck to the exact position the retaining pins require ...using them it becomes a real easy job.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the vote of confidence in removing the deck.

I had heard that reattaching the PTO driveshaft to the deck was a pain.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
[...]

I use these wedges the elevate the back of the deck to the exact position the retaining pins require ...using them it becomes a real easy job.
Good to hear I'm not the only one who has to use a little "assistance" to get the deck to line up with the hangers just right... I use a big long 1.5" diameter PVC pipe to lever my deck into the right elevation to accept the pins. I think I might try the wedge idea..

And CJ-8... yep, get used to removing and reattaching the mowing deck. It's not a lot of fun, but somehow mowing decks seem to require more maintenance than a tractor itself, and if you want the deck to last you'll probably have it off several times a season for cleaning, greasing, etc.

Mine ends up off and up on sawhorses about once every 3 mows, but then I'm a little obsessed about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2005 3200 with a 50" deck. Twice I have whacked the center spindle grease fitting on the drive shaft. I bought new ones from the cub website at about $3 each . I have trouble putting the deck on and off also because it is heavy, I jack up the rear of the tractor with a car jack and it seems pretty easy then to slide it under in place.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Before taking the deck off. Get a propane torch. Heat the zerk fitting. Let it cool. Do it again and then put grease in when it's hot. You might have hardened grease in there. Make sure there is NO grass anywhere or you'll be running for the garden hose:duh: . This works 90%ofthe times

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All - Thanks for the ideas!

Before taking the deck off. Get a propane torch. Heat the zerk fitting. Let it cool. Do it again and then put grease in when it's hot. You might have hardened grease in there. Make sure there is NO grass anywhere or you'll be running for the garden hose:duh: . This works 90%ofthe times
I especially like this idea! Wish I thought of it and earlier (before I jazzed-up the zerk with the vicegrips twisting and pulling it).

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts