My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

JD Dealer is telling me that if I want to bag with a 48" deck that I *must* use the blower attachment. Can anybody verify this for me or jump in if you run a 48 and bag without the blower.

Thanks!
Jay

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Hey gang,

JD Dealer is telling me that if I want to bag with a 48" deck that I *must* use the blower attachment. Can anybody verify this for me or jump in if you run a 48 and bag without the blower.

Thanks!
Jay
Thats true I believe, anything larger then 42" needs a blower. 3 blades just won't push it up high enough.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so here's the deal...I will fall on my sword. As you may or may not know I just got the new X320 ordered with a 42" deck against the advice of most all of you. Turns out you guys were right. I should have kept the stock 48" deck. Getting around mulch beds is proving to be difficult. I should have listened! :duh:

·
Registered
438 Posts
You have your 30 day policy to return and get what you want. See if they will just swap the deck or the whole thing has to go back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have your 30 day policy to return and get what you want. See if they will just swap the deck or the whole thing has to go back.
Spoke to the dealer and he said he would just swap out the deck. Looks like it's going to cost me about $700 for everything.

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
Some of us just use a sweeper instead of the bagger...

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Spoke to the dealer and he said he would just swap out the deck. Looks like it's going to cost me about $700 for everything.
Larger deck and power flow bagger?

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Larger deck, power flow and chute that attaches from the power flow to my existing bagger chute.
You can't beat that for new. well done!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can't beat that for new. well done!
Just spoke to the dealer $719 out the door. Not ever having used a power flow before I'd like to get some feedback from guys that have one. Does in substantially increase the *suction* over say a standalone 42" deck? Any and all comments are welcome. :thanku:

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Just spoke to the dealer $719 out the door. Not ever having used a power flow before I'd like to get some feedback from guys that have one. Does in substantially increase the *suction* over say a standalone 42" deck? Any and all comments are welcome. :thanku:
I never have tried using it when it is really wet, but I have never had it clog. Another thing is you will find you can mow much longer before you have to empty the bag because it seems to chop up the grass/leaves finer.

I think you will be happy with it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ya know i see all these guys with the powerflow baggers mowing their lawns, ya have this huge thing hanging off the right side, bagging system on the back, more storage space needed and if you leave it on you need a larger shed. i went the heresy route and ordered my x540 with a 48" deck with the mulch kit. and go figure, i can actually mow around obstacles, can fit the thing into my shed, and i still have nothing to rake up after, and... wait for it... saved a lot of cash!

the only thing i can think a bagger would be good for is leaves in the fall. i cant believe how many people will spend so much more for new trailers, bigger sheds, moving gates, just to have a few more inches of cutting width (talking about the bigger deck syndrome i see here), and heaven forbid a guy wants to or decides on a smaller tractor! my lord youd think God himself designed the x700. there, done, rant over. let the kicking commence.

·
Jerry
1,194 Posts
ya know i see all these guys with the powerflow baggers mowing their lawns, ya have this huge thing hanging off the right side, bagging system on the back, more storage space needed and if you leave it on you need a larger shed. i went the heresy route and ordered my x540 with a 48" deck with the mulch kit. and go figure, i can actually mow around obstacles, can fit the thing into my shed, and i still have nothing to rake up after, and... wait for it... saved a lot of cash!

the only thing i can think a bagger would be good for is leaves in the fall. i cant believe how many people will spend so much more for new trailers, bigger sheds, moving gates, just to have a few more inches of cutting width (talking about the bigger deck syndrome i see here), and heaven forbid a guy wants to or decides on a smaller tractor! my lord youd think God himself designed the x700. there, done, rant over. let the kicking commence.
Well...I'm sure you don't have any trouble storing the tractor pictured in your avatar in your shed! :sidelaugh :sorry1:

·
Murph
1,930 Posts
I just had to have one of those monstrosities and after using it 3 or 4 times I decided it worked fine but I hated it, way too big and bulky, I could only trim with one side, made my deck set crooked because of the weight of the blower, blowout in the front of the deck when doing leaves ($58.00 anti blowout kit did not solve that problem) couldn't get it in my shed without taking it apart and had nowhere to get rid of clippings so I sent that thing down the road and back on went my trusty mulch kit!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well...I'm sure you don't have any trouble storing the tractor pictured in your avatar in your shed! :sidelaugh :sorry1:
you'd be wrong there, i have to constantly move my pencil holder and mouse pad every time i want to park it next to the phone!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Some of those reasons are why I do not have a power flow, but I do want one for leaf pick up in the fall. What I mow has too many obstacles to make a power flow useful during regular mowing.

No comment on the X7-- because clearly the 318 is the end all be all to GT's :ROF :drunkie: (I am not partial or anything....)

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
To the OP. While I do not have any new stuff, (mainly because I just like the older stuff a little more and cant justify having more than 4 or 5 at a time) I have used some of the new stuff. I think you made the right choice by jumping up to the 48, the smaller decks need a smaller machine as you found out. Of course you always have the option of weed whacking for 3 hours :)

you'd be wrong there, i have to constantly move my pencil holder and mouse pad every time i want to park it next to the phone!!!
An indoor/outdoor tractor that is awesome, how long does it take to mow the yard? Any power problems? :trink40:

·
Jerry
1,194 Posts
Touche' I only wish I had one for my desk...maybe with the lawn cart. :howdy:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts